I'm in a lull. Should I close shop?

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just went through this issue. I lost interest over the summer and barely even looked at my tank. Didn't keep up with maintenance, and things started to go south. I decided I didn't didn't you go out like that and made it a mission to get the tank back in good shape. Once I got back into the maintenance rhythm again and saw things getting better, it resparked my passion for the tank again.

I think taking on new and interesting tasks might help. Maybe change the rock scape a bit. Do some pruning/fragging. Reorganize/optimize your equipment. Or you can just let it be for a while. That's the nice thing about having a tank that's almost on autopilot. It will still be there if and when you find your passion for it again.

Congrats on finding your spark again!

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with most above. Just have to keep moving forward and stay positive which ever way you go. I'm kind of a hermit too I can relate sometimes. Planted tanks can be hard but beautiful. Check out amano, or green machine on Yt*. They do some amazing stuff. Trying new things even unrelated to aquariums. For me getting a new critter with character is always fun.

123_1.gif

Bjmycroft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broke down my 7 foot tank and sold\gave away all the equipment. At the time I'd just become a father and didn't have the time and money to do what I wanted and just lost interest in the way you describe. Fast forwards 10 years and I really wish I'd at least kept the equipment as I'd love a big tank again but the startup cost is prohibitive now I've a family and it's hard to justify!

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I found my spark again.

I decided to move all my corals and fish out of my Nuvo Fusion 20 and into the 75g. I felt like the 20g has become a chore and it's really ugly; so I'm going to try to sell it. if it doesn't sell, I'm considering trying a fresh water planted tank for something different.

Adding the extra corals and fish into the 75g gave it more life. Now I want to look for a variety of toadstools to add. My clown goby, that I was concerned the 75g tank is too big, seems to be entirely amazed and probably thinks he's been released into the ocean, lol.

I am battling turf algae, so in my task of researching and finding ways to lower the phosphate, the act of buying turbo snails ignited my desire to shop around for more critters, which led me to a tuxedo urchin which I'll probably regret. I've become a bit more hands on with the tank, even gave it a 40% water change last week since it's been years (you can see my other thread of how disgusting the sump was lol). I took the time yesterday peeling off kenya trees and killing aptasia.

I've also been spending more time on the forums reading and even getting more involved which I think helped tremendously.

Again, I thank everyone that has posted and reached out to me via PMs, I really appreciate it and I feel the love here!
The tuxedo urchin will amazed you. Fasten things down so he won't turn them over. Good luck.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start a new tank build. That'll peak your interest back up with all the planning
My daughter sent me a link to a utube video that was dedicated to planted tanks and terrariums. I'll try to find it. I tried one with discus years ago. It's just as challenging as a reef tank. Get a school of those tiny freshwater shrimp. All aquariums are fun.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda wish I had people outside the internet to associate with when it comes to the hobby- in a way of a motivator to speak. I've tried joining reef clubs and no one seemed interested in having a female reefing buddy- there's all guys that congregate and hardly and females. I went to almost every event the club held too and I always leave feeling like a third wheel even after trying to talk to them.
I totally can relate to this! To bad we didn't live closer

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I found my spark again.

I decided to move all my corals and fish out of my Nuvo Fusion 20 and into the 75g. I felt like the 20g has become a chore and it's really ugly; so I'm going to try to sell it. if it doesn't sell, I'm considering trying a fresh water planted tank for something different.

Adding the extra corals and fish into the 75g gave it more life. Now I want to look for a variety of toadstools to add. My clown goby, that I was concerned the 75g tank is too big, seems to be entirely amazed and probably thinks he's been released into the ocean, lol.

I am battling turf algae, so in my task of researching and finding ways to lower the phosphate, the act of buying turbo snails ignited my desire to shop around for more critters, which led me to a tuxedo urchin which I'll probably regret. I've become a bit more hands on with the tank, even gave it a 40% water change last week since it's been years (you can see my other thread of how disgusting the sump was lol). I took the time yesterday peeling off kenya trees and killing aptasia.

I've also been spending more time on the forums reading and even getting more involved which I think helped tremendously.

Again, I thank everyone that has posted and reached out to me via PMs, I really appreciate it and I feel the love here!
I'm so happy to read this post!! I'm rooting for you @DracoKat! You're a great part of our community here at Reef2Reef! Thanks for being a member of our reefing family!

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another suggestion…maybe having just softies and gorgs has become boring. Maybe try getting into more SPS ? A new challenge is needed ? Doing the research always gets my juices flowing again. Rehome all your current corals, rescape and start fresh with some sticks….food for thought.

worked for me btw

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another suggestion…maybe having just softies and gorgs has become boring. Maybe try getting into more SPS ? A new challenge is needed ? Doing the research always gets my juices flowing again. Rehome all your current corals, rescape and start fresh with some sticks….food for thought.

worked for me btw

I've had SPS and they grew beautifully, until they all died. With my Phosphates being high and I can't seem to get it down (check another thread about it), I'm hesitant to try SPS again.

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had SPS and they grew beautifully, until they all died. With my Phosphates being high and I can't seem to get it down (check another thread about it), I'm hesitant to try SPS again.
Bummer ! Yea, nutrients are always tricky with SPS. Have you ever tried a refugium ? That was a tipping point for me with SPS..

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer ! Yea, nutrients are always tricky with SPS. Have you ever tried a refugium ? That was a tipping point for me with SPS..
I have a fuge, with chaetos growing like crazy lol.

Maybe one day I'll try SPS again. Maybe I'll try the cheapest one I can find to see how it does before splurging money on the. They aren't cheap!

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half of my reefing philosphy is that my tank is "Just there"

The other half is that I do enough work to make "just there" possible

There's nothign wrong with a tank being "just there," it's not like we are fish and can swim in it; it's there to be observed.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back