I'm in a lull. Should I close shop?

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I felt the same a couple of months ago. Same as you, I have a 75 gallon and a nano tank. My corals were looking like crap but still alive. I lost a couple of fish. Then i realized I am just bored of the tank itself, not the hobby.

For me, the best part of the hobby is the initial years. What fascinates me is watching corals grow from frags. Now that my tank is established, I am running out of room and tank just look clustered.

So I decided to upgrade. Gonna go from 75 to 200g peninsula. New scape, new equipment, new plan. Take what I learned and make an even better tank. I am cycling rocks now in a tote and I find myself shining a flashlight in it to see if any new critters show up. Yes, I rather look at a tote of bare rocks than my display tank =P

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Duncan62 Welcome!!
@LiveFreeAndReef Thank you (And love your user)
@ninjamyst I would LOVE to upgrade my tank. I just don't have 5k to shell out right now for my dream tank. bleh.

I am trying to figure out how I can rework my rocks with the corals on it, it just seems really daunting and Im afraid I'd stir up the sandbed too much and cause problems for the inhabitants

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DracoKat Happy belated Birthday!!
Welcome to the RSR Community where 50% of the advice is 90% correct.

Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda wish I had people outside the internet to associate with when it comes to the hobby- in a way of a motivator to speak. I've tried joining reef clubs and no one seemed interested in having a female reefing buddy- there's all guys that congregate and hardly and females. I went to almost every event the club held too and I always leave feeling like a third wheel even after trying to talk to them.

Even now just chatting with you guys just for a few minutes helped, Different thoughts and ideas, it gets me thinking. But forums aren't exactly the same, yannow?
I don’t get why reef clubs have to do this… I’m a male, but I have no issue with female reefer. A reefer is a reefer, period, regardless of gender.

Hope your situation improves, and that they accept you.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t get why reef clubs have to do this… I’m a male, but I have no issue with

female reefer. A reefer is a reefer, period, regardless of gender.

The most experienced fish keeper and reef keeper is a lady. Helped me start my first Berlin system in the 70s. The thrill will return when you see new growth or a cool hitchhiker. Keep

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t get why reef clubs have to do this… I’m a male, but I have no issue with female reefer. A reefer is a reefer, period, regardless of gender.

I only imagine a reef club get together like the comic book store in the big bang theory where a bunch of creepy guys lurk around and stare when a female walks through the door. So in theory, I agree with you..but in actuality, I could see how a female could intimidate reefers into the fetal position.

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been there. Whatever you do, make a decision. I slowly lost interest and my fish suffered. I wish I had made the decision to get out sooner and rehomed them instead of losing some fish. With that said, I did finally decided to get out and rehomed the rest. After 15 years I'm back into it.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hobbies can be temporary. It might take letting go and missing it to regain that love.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me man, I feel it. I fall into those rifts sometimes. I work 11 hour+ days, five days a week. Spend pretty much all weekend doing house stuff (My Fiance and I bought a home a year ago). Still love looking at my tank though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been there. Whatever you do, make a decision. I slowly lost interest and my fish suffered. I wish I had made the decision to get out sooner and rehomed them instead of losing some fish. With that said, I did finally decided to get out and rehomed the rest. After 15 years I'm back into it.

If I ever feel like my fish is suffering, I will be rehoming fast. I don't think they're suffering

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Duncan62 Welcome!!
@LiveFreeAndReef Thank you (And love your user)
@ninjamyst I would LOVE to upgrade my tank. I just don't have 5k to shell out right now for my dream tank. bleh.

I am trying to figure out how I can rework my rocks with the corals on it, it just seems really daunting and Im afraid I'd stir up the sandbed too much and cause problems for the inhabitants
You can try stirring up a small section of the sand during each water change. I usually vacuum my sand during water changes.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For years I would be excited about my tank(s). I'd go to LFS weekly and spend my money. I'd have my hand in the tank a few times a week. I'd sit in front of the tanks watching the fish for hours (or so it seems). I used to research the next equipment to buy, go to frag swaps and actively work on my coral collection. I used to happily frag my zoas and actively trade with local reefers. I don't even test my waters anymore.

Now, nothing excites me anymore. The tank is just.. there. I don't do much with it anymore except for feeding and looking at the fish to make sure they are all there. I don't bother to pick up fallen corals anymore. Today was the first time in months I've changed the water in my 20 g because it was starting to look neglected and bad. my 75g is pretty much self-sustaining now. I no longer want to spend money on on corals or on the tanks, then again, the LFS don't seem to have much of a variety anymore either which got old and boring.

My tank isn't as beautiful as it used to be due to my lack of interest. I've had thoughts of shutting down my 75g and keeping the 20g. The only thing that's preventing me from doing that is the thought of losing out on all the money I spent (and I know I'd have to practically give away stuff or sell for really cheap in order to get it out of my house). I'm also afraid I'd regret it and want the tank back and I'd be spending twice as much to start all over again.

Do you guys ever feel this way? Did you ever get that spark back? What do you do to get that spark back?

@DracoKat Happy Belated Birthday!

For my company, I'm responsible for Talent and Mentoring in the Texas chapter of WISE (Women Inspiring Success and Excellence). This past year (coming up on TWO!) has been incredibly challenging and hard for so many with constant fear of COVID, supply chain breakdowns (remember bare shelves, toilet paper and cleaning supply shortages ... now computer chips, lumber, & more), isolation, and MORE.

Its normal to need to step away. Take a break. Take a walk. Take a vacation.

I'm so proud of EVERYONE on this thread and on this site. We are all hanging in there. Some days hanging by our fingernails hardly able to breath, some days celebrating successes, but we are HERE. We matter. YOU matter.

This site is a wonderfully diverse mix of the reef nerds someone mentioned as well as everything and everyone else. Every day I drop in, I'm so excited to see familiar IDs and begin getting to know new IDs. Virtual has become our new reality these past couple of years, but we are human ... we aren't wired for virtual :) Those in person frag events and shows are starting to reopen our reef worlds. (Yipee - Aquashella Dallas October 30 & 31!!! I'm DFW TX, forgive me <wink>)

You might be able to score a new-to-you tank setup for far less by watching Craigslist, etc as some may be getting out of the hobby for other interests. Maybe you try a pico.

Interesting to me, I googled "how do I find my spark" and found quite an assortment of suggestions. One simple one is smile at a stranger on street. Another is journaling what makes you happy (gratetude journal). Not every suggestion works for everyone - we are a very diverse mix.

I'll be cheering for you and hoping you find your spark.

"start where you are, do what you can, use what you have" - Arthur Ashe, tennis player

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Belated Birthday! I remember thinking that my 40th birthday was difficult, but as it turned out, it really wasn't so bad. It was really more of a new beginning. New people in my life, new activities, and new interests. That was 26 years ago! Yes, I have a few miles on me, but I am young at heart and never plan to grow up! :) Enjoy the new chapter of your life.

Ironically, I have been in the hobby for almost 40 years. I have taken breaks over time, some by my choice and some by mother nature's choice (hurricanes/flood). I have always come back to the hobby. Currently, I am without a running tank (we flooded in May), but as we recover from that I will be setting the tank up again. I know that the times I got rid of everything, I regretted it.

Do you have a tank thread? If you don't have a thread dedicated to your tank(s), maybe start one. I think you will find that you end up making new friends here, perhaps some that even live close to you. Maybe some less geeky than in your local reef club. :) You may find that just talking to fellow reefers about your tank and theirs, maybe even getting some good ideas for your system, may get the juices flowing again.

Anyway, I somehow get the feeling that you would be like me and miss the hobby if you got out, so I would encourage you to see if you can find that spark again. BTW, I love that huge gorgonian! If I wasn't so far away - and had a tank running - a cutting of that is something I would love to have. Good luck to you.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I found my spark again.

I decided to move all my corals and fish out of my Nuvo Fusion 20 and into the 75g. I felt like the 20g has become a chore and it's really ugly; so I'm going to try to sell it. if it doesn't sell, I'm considering trying a fresh water planted tank for something different.

Adding the extra corals and fish into the 75g gave it more life. Now I want to look for a variety of toadstools to add. My clown goby, that I was concerned the 75g tank is too big, seems to be entirely amazed and probably thinks he's been released into the ocean, lol.

I am battling turf algae, so in my task of researching and finding ways to lower the phosphate, the act of buying turbo snails ignited my desire to shop around for more critters, which led me to a tuxedo urchin which I'll probably regret. I've become a bit more hands on with the tank, even gave it a 40% water change last week since it's been years (you can see my other thread of how disgusting the sump was lol). I took the time yesterday peeling off kenya trees and killing aptasia.

I've also been spending more time on the forums reading and even getting more involved which I think helped tremendously.

Again, I thank everyone that has posted and reached out to me via PMs, I really appreciate it and I feel the love here!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DracoKat Happy Belated Birthday!

For my company, I'm responsible for Talent and Mentoring in the Texas chapter of WISE (Women Inspiring Success and Excellence). This past year (coming up on TWO!) has been incredibly challenging and hard for so many with constant fear of COVID, supply chain breakdowns (remember bare shelves, toilet paper and cleaning supply shortages ... now computer chips, lumber, & more), isolation, and MORE.

Its normal to need to step away. Take a break. Take a walk. Take a vacation.

I'm so proud of EVERYONE on this thread and on this site. We are all hanging in there. Some days hanging by our fingernails hardly able to breath, some days celebrating successes, but we are HERE. We matter. YOU matter.

This site is a wonderfully diverse mix of the reef nerds someone mentioned as well as everything and everyone else. Every day I drop in, I'm so excited to see familiar IDs and begin getting to know new IDs. Virtual has become our new reality these past couple of years, but we are human ... we aren't wired for virtual :) Those in person frag events and shows are starting to reopen our reef worlds. (Yipee - Aquashella Dallas October 30 & 31!!! I'm DFW TX, forgive me <wink>)

You might be able to score a new-to-you tank setup for far less by watching Craigslist, etc as some may be getting out of the hobby for other interests. Maybe you try a pico.

Interesting to me, I googled "how do I find my spark" and found quite an assortment of suggestions. One simple one is smile at a stranger on street. Another is journaling what makes you happy (gratetude journal). Not every suggestion works for everyone - we are a very diverse mix.

I'll be cheering for you and hoping you find your spark.

"start where you are, do what you can, use what you have" - Arthur Ashe, tennis player
Odd. When I googled ‘how to find your spark’, google told me to stand in a puddle of water and stick a penny in a light socket. I read it on the internet so it must be true.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I found my spark again.

I decided to move all my corals and fish out of my Nuvo Fusion 20 and into the 75g. I felt like the 20g has become a chore and it's really ugly; so I'm going to try to sell it. if it doesn't sell, I'm considering trying a fresh water planted tank for something different.

Adding the extra corals and fish into the 75g gave it more life. Now I want to look for a variety of toadstools to add. My clown goby, that I was concerned the 75g tank is too big, seems to be entirely amazed and probably thinks he's been released into the ocean, lol.

I am battling turf algae, so in my task of researching and finding ways to lower the phosphate, the act of buying turbo snails ignited my desire to shop around for more critters, which led me to a tuxedo urchin which I'll probably regret. I've become a bit more hands on with the tank, even gave it a 40% water change last week since it's been years (you can see my other thread of how disgusting the sump was lol). I took the time yesterday peeling off kenya trees and killing aptasia.

I've also been spending more time on the forums reading and even getting more involved which I think helped tremendously.

Again, I thank everyone that has posted and reached out to me via PMs, I really appreciate it and I feel the love here!
@DracoKat what a great turnaround and story!!!

These are very difficult times but your perseverance is truly inspirational and motivational!!!

Wishing you the very best and much continued success!

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 34 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 16 10.0%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back