I'm in a lull. Should I close shop?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with changing it up some. Maybe rescape, maybe move it to a different room where you may see it more or make it a center piece again. Maybe switching out the full grown corals for frags or fraging the full grown way down to see new growth

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For years I would be excited about my tank(s). I'd go to LFS weekly and spend my money. I'd have my hand in the tank a few times a week. I'd sit in front of the tanks watching the fish for hours (or so it seems). I used to research the next equipment to buy, go to frag swaps and actively work on my coral collection. I used to happily frag my zoas and actively trade with local reefers. I don't even test my waters anymore.

Now, nothing excites me anymore. The tank is just.. there. I don't do much with it anymore except for feeding and looking at the fish to make sure they are all there. I don't bother to pick up fallen corals anymore. Today was the first time in months I've changed the water in my 20 g because it was starting to look neglected and bad. my 75g is pretty much self-sustaining now. I no longer want to spend money on on corals or on the tanks, then again, the LFS don't seem to have much of a variety anymore either which got old and boring.

My tank isn't as beautiful as it used to be due to my lack of interest. I've had thoughts of shutting down my 75g and keeping the 20g. The only thing that's preventing me from doing that is the thought of losing out on all the money I spent (and I know I'd have to practically give away stuff or sell for really cheap in order to get it out of my house). I'm also afraid I'd regret it and want the tank back and I'd be spending twice as much to start all over again.

Do you guys ever feel this way? Did you ever get that spark back? What do you do to get that spark back?
Sure shut the 75 gallon down and store the equipment for one year, then sell It. Don’t obsess about getting your money back. Focus on having fun with the 20 gallon but you might find that you are done with hobby.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very much so.

@DracoKat
Do you have a favorite in your system at all?
Favorite as in fish or coral?

My favorite fish is probably my Magnificent Foxface. So much personality! I'd be sad if I ever got rid of him

My favavorite coral is probably my pink gorg which is about the size of a basketball. I tried fragging to swap/sell yet no one has interest, so I just left it growin

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in a similar situation through last year and this one. You can see the gory details in my build thread. But I've recently gotten back in the swing of maintaining my 20 gal and having the new 130gal certainly rekindled interest. My 65 is a lost cause and I will be breaking it down. Ultimately only you can decide if you think you'll revive your interest. Wishing you the best of luck though.

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's perfectly normal to lose interest in anything in life.
The trusty car anology springs to mind. It's a little like that car you always wanted and end up getting it, then you mod it, clean it and cherish it up until you lose interest in it so you sell it on or upgrade the engine with new supercharger or turbo ( you get the point there got to be progress)
Me personally I found keeping hard to keep sps corals (smooth skin acros and some Tenuis) keeps me on top of things as a little neglect from my part sends the whole thing down the drain.
I have kept all sorts of freshwater and always found that anything that's too easy and I will lose interest in pretty quickly
With reefing as soon as I think I got it mastered and I am the coral whisperer :Bang it kicks me in the nuts sort of speak as something undesirable happens.
Although my reef is pretty mature & all it requires a few hours a week watching my gorgeous acros grow is so rewarding.
I also try to not watch the tank during the week because I find that I get used to the beauty of it all and can't appricate it for what it is! I simply love it how acropora can change and reward you for keeping everything in sweet spot conditions. Almost like they thank you.
So the point I am trying to make is you eather need a break from it all!
Upgrade /rescape
Or move on to something else that takes your fancy.
Ultimately you will know best what is the right way to go about it

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thiis is a reason we add a coral or a fish. To add color spark but I fully understand.
As frag swaps and events such as RAP and Macna have resumed, these are events to grab deals, meet manufacturers and get excited about the hobby.
It takes one different color light, or fish or even a decor to changed the whole enjoyment and revitilization of why we got into this hobby.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's perfectly normal to lose interest in anything in life.
The trusty car anology springs to mind. It's a little like that car you always wanted and end up getting it, then you mod it, clean it and cherish it up until you lose interest in it so you sell it on or upgrade the engine with new supercharger or turbo ( you get the point there got to be progress)
Me personally I found keeping hard to keep sps corals (smooth skin acros and some Tenuis) keeps me on top of things as a little neglect from my part sends the whole thing down the drain.
I have kept all sorts of freshwater and always found that anything that's too easy and I will lose interest in pretty quickly
With reefing as soon as I think I got it mastered and I am the coral whisperer :Bang it kicks me in the nuts sort of speak as something undesirable happens.
Although my reef is pretty mature & all it requires a few hours a week watching my gorgeous acros grow is so rewarding.
I also try to not watch the tank during the week because I find that I get used to the beauty of it all and can't appricate it for what it is! I simply love it how acropora can change and reward you for keeping everything in sweet spot conditions. Almost like they thank you.
So the point I am trying to make is you eather need a break from it all!
Upgrade /rescape
Or move on to something else that takes your fancy.
Ultimately you will know best what is the right way to go about it
Very wise words!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda wish I had people outside the internet to associate with when it comes to the hobby- in a way of a motivator to speak. I've tried joining reef clubs and no one seemed interested in having a female reefing buddy- there's all guys that congregate and hardly and females. I went to almost every event the club held too and I always leave feeling like a third wheel even after trying to talk to them.

Even now just chatting with you guys just for a few minutes helped, Different thoughts and ideas, it gets me thinking. But forums aren't exactly the same, yannow?
Really? A woman in a room full of reef geeks? Figured be the most popular person by a factor of 20

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? A woman in a room full of reef geeks? Figured be the most popular person by a factor of 20

You'd think I'd at least get a date or two out of it. That was my other goal, LOL. Guess not, these guys had more interest in fish than meeting people it seems

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 g is a deep tank. I need a stepping ladder to clean my tank, feed the coral, or recover frag plugs.

Perhaps its just a difficult tank to maintain?
Great observation!

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I see it you need to ask yourself if the animals in your systems are getting the care they deserve (it doesn't sound like it) and if not, are you willing to do what is necessary when it's necessary from now on to ensure that they do. If the honest answer is no, then you've answered your original question.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nah, the height is fine on the tank. I have no problems reaching into the bottom.

Most of you all suggested changing things up. I am going to look around for ideas on something different to do. Changing the rocks feel really daunting, but now I wanna research seahorses, lol

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I see it you need to ask yourself if the animals in your systems are getting the care they deserve (it doesn't sound like it) and if not, are you willing to do what is necessary when it's necessary from now on to ensure that they do. If the honest answer is no, then you've answered your original question.

I do believe they are getting the care they deserve. I check on them every day, I feed them, if something looks off I'll fix it. I would never neglect them, they are my babies (odd to say for fish, but you do grow attached to them in some way)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
75 g is a deep tank. I need a stepping ladder to clean my tank, feed the coral, or recover frag plugs.

Perhaps its just a difficult tank to maintain?
I deal with 34" deep. You need these ( I use them regularly)

1633297030458.png

1633297013667.png

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 38 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back