I'm learning

Duane Fagan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title suggests I want to know about saltwater tanks so all my questions may come off as stupid, anyway I have to ask....... Are coral reef tanks blue in person videos and pictures I see are mostly super blue..... Can someone inform my dumb butt

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when looking at my tank it will be blue?
When the light hits the ocean (deep) , the blue spectrum is utilized for photosynthesis because the white spectrum does not pierce all the way through. This is for deep water , tide pools get all the light also , it’s a preference on how blue to make yr reef , but there does need to be some blue

Attachments

• FBB2A601-FC7E-4F33-83A4-577AB05A49AC.jpeg
    FBB2A601-FC7E-4F33-83A4-577AB05A49AC.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
Duane Fagan

Duane Fagan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the light hits the ocean (deep) , the blue spectrum is utilized for photosynthesis because the white spectrum does not pierce all the way through. This is for deep water , tide pools get all the light also , it’s a preference on how blue to make yr reef , but there does need to be some blue
Oh ok thanks now what about the fish only live rock tanks do they need blue or that's just for corals?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As the title suggests I want to know about saltwater tanks so all my questions may come off as stupid, anyway I have to ask....... Are coral reef tanks blue in person videos and pictures I see are mostly super blue..... Can someone inform my dumb butt
Lighting produces the blues from UV within lights that produce that appearance.
Jokingly, people who see my tanks ask me how I make the blue water (water is always clear)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue tanks(windex look) are all the new fad, because the blue colors make the pigments in the corals skin fluoresce. Corals look different under different spectrums of light, and they look thier best under mostly blues. The crazy colors you see on most vendors acro's are shot under extreme blue light, and you would not normally see those colors unless they were under those extreme blues.

You do not need that blue look. In fact my tank runs very little blue, and I grow corals just fine. Some of us prefer the whiter look to the tank, but blue light(UV) is most certainly needed for coral health.

OP
OP
Duane Fagan

Duane Fagan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish don’t need any expensive lights just whatever you prefer, coral demands the light
OK cool thanks, now sometimes I'm watching YouTube and some tanks are crystal clear no blue hue is that a camera filter I'm seeing or they choose to not use blue lights for their corals?

OP
OP
Duane Fagan

Duane Fagan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue tanks(windex look) are all the new fad, because the blue colors make the pigments in the corals skin fluoresce. Corals look different under different spectrums of light, and they look thier best under mostly blues. The crazy colors you see on most vendors acro's are shot under extreme blue light, and you would not normally see those colors unless they were under those extreme blues.

You do not need that blue look. In fact my tank runs very little blue, and I grow corals just fine. Some of us prefer the whiter look to the tank, but blue light(UV) is most certainly needed for coral health.
Thank you for going into detail I'm understanding better now, so I can have that white look with some blue hue to it and still have corals good to know

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK cool thanks, now sometimes I'm watching YouTube and some tanks are crystal clear no blue hue is that a camera filter I'm seeing or they choose to not use blue lights for their corals?

Either or, some have photo programs on their lights saved others use camera filters. I picked this up off Amazon for $20 or so and is what I use when I don't want the blue in my pics.

1608672521739.png

OP
OP
Duane Fagan

Duane Fagan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either or, some have photo programs on their lights saved others use camera filters. I picked this up off Amazon for $20 or so and is what I use when I don't want the blue in my pics.

1608672521739.png
Good to know thank you

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 80 47.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%

Back