I'm new. Need help with design build.

bnoon1323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, so I've always had freshwater aquariums. My recent build is a 50 gallon drop off tank. Freshwater is great and all but i've always wanted to get into the "reefing" hobby. I have done a little bit of research, compared to how much knowledge is out there for this hobby. I planned on building my own acrylic tank. Seems cheaper than buying a glass "reef ready" tank. But i have built a few sketches of what I would like it to look like as well as what i think the tank would need as far as flow and proper turn over. Tank dimensions are 40" x 20" x 24". If you all could give me some input of possible problems or anything I might be missing, i would greatly appreciate it!
I've chosen to use an internal overflow box with the blue line being my return, light grey being my secondary/emergency over flow, and the black being my main overflow drain. i left enough space in the overflow box to add a small pump in the bottom. I chose to add this to move water across the bottom to help with the build up of detritus. Not a lot of flow but enough to keep anything from settling through the middle. The front picture shows this loc-line nozzle (green) with 2 low profile strainers (purple) on each side of the overflow box.
I planned on placing 2 powerheads on the back wall to try and blend in with the black background. I have been looking at the Aqua Illumination Nero 3's. of course, placement for these would be subject to move if flow around tank/through corals is not sufficient.
the return lines (red) and nozzle are just two 3/4" random flow loc line nozzles.

Assembly 2 (2).png Assembly 2 (1).png Assembly 2.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back