I'm not getting what I saw in the picture

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yes, thats what it looked like when I got it. What is known to be a rose milli is extremely pink when they are captured from the wild. After they are under artifical lighting for about a week or so they turn rose color. I figured I would take a photo as soon as it came in to get the extreme pink color that it was at the time. Now its a typical rose milli.....

Reefer, I agree. Photoshop is good if you don't abuse it.
Yeah, I'm finding out about the camera and lense. They can give show details that a naked eye can not see.
BTW, the acro in your avatar looks great. Is that a millie?

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remembering when i bought my first coral online. I was so disappointed when i got it in. Now i have ordered so many corals over the years you kinda know what to expect when you get it in. The color is not going to be exact as the pics online most of the time you have to guesstimate a little. Try to get wygiwys corals. Then you don't get too much of a surprise.

Darren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rit I have not seen your new frags but I know you have been spending $ as you like the good stuff like I do. I also know that you know your "stuff" when it comes to corals. I say give the person a chance to make it right if you feel you have been mislead and then call them out if they do not. I would post pics of what was "advertised" and then post pics of what you received and let the members here chime in. I think a lot of folks are afraid to leave bad feedback but with the money that is being spent these days you ought to get the real deal if you are paying the $ for it.

Kate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that it is better to buy from someone local, but when you don't have anyone closer than a three hour drive, it is too much of a temptation to order online! :) I was really surprised by one of my orders. I had ordered three different corals, and when they came, I had five totally different corals, lol! None of what I ordered, plus two! THAT was fun! :) I acclimated them into my tank, until we got the mess sorted out, and I packed them again, and resent to seller. Mine came a week later, from someone else! There were five orders mixed up, from a new employee. Everyone was good about it, and we got it worked out. I'd rather deal with someone like that though, than someone new!

mak060

Reluctant Zoa Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is so informative. All of us know what IamRit is talking about. Getting what you think you ordered is difficult. It is made more difficult in that what the buyer “sees” is always a mentally processed image, influenced by his knowledge and expectations. It is his mind that the seller/photographer is trying to influence. Thus, I disagree that Photoshop should be used by the seller at all, whose inescapable bias is to present something that will sell. As mentioned above, macro photography, an art unto itself, further influences the mental image, producing details normally invisible to the buyer's naked eye, such that tiny brown clove polyps no longer look like dandelions, but palm trees swaying in the wind. Finally, no image is complete without the seller’s description of the item, which in too many cases bends the buyer’s mind into thinking he’s getting something “ultra,” “unavailable except here” or “super rare,” all enhancing the mental image of beauty with rarity. The buyer, especially the new buyer, is at the mercy of these advertisements. In conclusion, in the ideal world, computer color modification, colored lens filters, extreme lighting, and excessively tantalizing descriptions should be avoided. Macro photography should be accompanied by photography that approaches the naked eye (50 mm or so—see H@rry’s recent highly complimented post). Should, would, could; in the end, buyer beware. If I had used the tips in this thread, I would have bought that $800 acan I saw recently with my own eyes, instead of wasting a large percentage of that money online.

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 140 40.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 171 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 31 9.1%
Back