IM Nuvo 38 build

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finally buying my first home! With a new house come a new tank.

I have had my current 90g SeaClear System II tank running for about 4 years. A few months ago I had a devastating tank wipe out and lost all my fish. The tank has been running fishless ever since. Instead of leaving the hobby I decided to downsize.

I got a great deal on a used Innovative Marine Nuvo Mini 38 with stand from the original owner. He had the tank running for 5 years. I have read that the curved glass Nuvos can crack but I'm hoping that if this tank was going to fail, it would have by now. [emoji1696]

I will be transferring all the corals over from my 90 into the Nuvo. I have a +12 inch toadstool, 4 bta along with some softies and LPS.

I'm cycling some new dry rock as well since a lot of the rock in my old tank wasn't the best. I'm going to try a bare bottom tank this time for ease of cleaning.

The previous owner modded the tank to raise the water level in the rear chamber. I am hoping to use my Reef Octopus BH-2000 HOB skimmer and TLF Phosban Reactor. I want to convert the center chamber into a fuge.

I am considering the AI Hydra 26 HD or Kessil A360WE for lighting.

c5d982aad7220fb76e0a273ba52faf7a.jpg

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new house and I'm sorry to hear about your tank wipe out. Looking forward to seeing that Nuvo come together!

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new house and I'm sorry to hear about your tank wipe out. Looking forward to seeing that Nuvo come together!
Thanks. I almost quit or switched to freshwater after my wipe out. I think something smaller will be better for me. Since I was originally saving cash to upgrade to a budget 120 gallon build, this build should have some nicer equipment to it.

Can't wait to try some nice leds. Stuck between the Hydra 26 HD and Kessil A360.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I almost quit or switched to freshwater after my wipe out. I think something smaller will be better for me. Since I was originally saving cash to upgrade to a budget 120 gallon build, this build should have some nicer equipment to it.

Can't wait to try some nice leds. Stuck between the Hydra 26 HD and Kessil A360.
I never owned Kessil but I like my hydra 26's

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the gen4 still need a reef link to control it? I guess I could get the module for my apex.
I plug mine into the apex and set it to “always on” then control it through Fusion. The Radion does not need reeflink to work. It just makes it wireless. There is a plug on each light that will connect to your pc. Set it and forget it. I don’t use the apex module.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plug mine into the apex and set it to “always on” then control it through Fusion. The Radion does not need reeflink to work. It just makes it wireless. There is a plug on each light that will connect to your pc. Set it and forget it. I don’t use the apex module.
Sweet. I'll start looking looking for a second hand 4th gen XR15W. Do you think the diffuser is needed?

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet. I'll start looking looking for a second hand 4th gen XR15W. Do you think the diffuser is needed?
I had one when I had a smaller tank and only used one light. When I bought a second light for the new tank I didn’t buy a second diffuser. The diffuser eliminates the rainbow/disco effect but it’s not necessary. I really don’t mind one way or the other. Personal preference really.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got in a fresh order of Seachem Matrix. I have put it in my filtration compartment of the 90g to seed it with bacteria and it will be going the rear chamber of the Nuvo. I am planning on giving the Matrix at least a week to get seeded.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my innovative marine tank under a hydra 52 30 Gallon cube.

Good luck with yours wish mines was that size.

7220dc83f6c3ba85a6c18fed842c2808.jpg

Looks great!

I think its just about 5 inches wider than your tank.

I am still a bit torn between the Hydra 26 HD and Radion XR15 (gen 4). The hydra looks great over your tank.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning out my filtration. I want to create a refugium in the middle compartment. There were some mods made by the last owner to raise the water level in the filtration compartment including sealing two parts of the tank (one of the overflows) which will work well with my skimmer.

I want to modify the largest section into a fuge. I have one of these lights on hand that I was thinking of using to light it but I feel like more power would be better. Any suggestions on a good fuge light for an AIO?
https://www.amazon.com/LEDENET-18LE...&filterByKeyword=fish+tank#reviews-filter-bar

I put together a rough paint diagram showing what I was thinking of doing. My reactor pump would go near the filter sock most likely and then return through the nearest return (it is currently set up to only use one return outlet).

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am also getting some anxiety about the possibility of cracking. I have read that these curved glass designs are prone to it. I have a brand new IM self leveling mat in the mail but I don't know if that will be enough. The previous owner had the tank up and running for 5 years. Not sure if I should just take the loss on the tank and find another one?

NuvoFiltration.png
mini-38-spec-sheet-page-001.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on a good refugium light that works with AIOs? Needs to be light enough and low heat enough to velcrow or tape to the back glass.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build has been canceled. Sold the Nuvo 38 and picked up a Nuvo 30l. I will make a new build thread.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back