IM Nuvo Fusion 10 Anemone Tank - Tank Downsize

modenda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past 5 years or so i have had a small handful of fresh and saltwater nano tanks, most recent being a Nuvo 20 mixed reef that I have had running for almost 3 years. At this point that tank is basically running on autopilot besides a 3ish gallon water change every week or two. Since moving into a new house I dont have a great spot for that tank, and its been sitting in the middle of the kitchen for the past few months. I was attempting to sell it as a full set up, but after getting no bites I decided I want to start over using all the lessons I have learned in the past couple years.

I have always wanted BTAs but have never gotten around to getting any. I have a pair of clownfish in my 20G that I love, and have decided to do a nem tank only. I have also gotten approval from the lady of the house, and she is excited to have an anemone tank in our living room.

My goal with this tank is to reduce the maintenance that I have to do minimal maintenance. Part of the reason for downsizing to the 10G is that my weekly water change volume can be 1-2 gallons, which will be a small enough to be easily managable and still cover a significant enough volume of water. I will also be adding pods early and letting them establish, based off lessons learned from @Bulk Reef Supply Biome Cycle. I am going to be keeping the bioload light as well with my current pair of Blacker Ice Clownfish, some Rock Flower Anemones and Rainbow Bubble Tip Anemones. I understand a BTA tank might not generally be considered "low maintenance" but after talking with @Hooz about his tank I think I can pull it off.

Here is the current plan:

Tank:
Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 10G Pro 2 (First brand new tank ive had)

Stand:
Custom Built Stand (Thread Here)

Light:
AI Prime 16HD with Flex Arm (Bought used, have had it sitting around for a year)

Misc Equipment:
Return Pump: Included IM Mighty Jet DC Pump
ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155 (I have this on my 20 currently, am hoping it will fit in the 10G)
Filter Media: Will run the IM Media Caddy with InTank filter floss and carbon, will add ChemiPure Blue if phosphates creep up. Thinking about adding a roller instead, not sure about manual or automated yet. Automated would help with low maintenance.
Heater: Will probably take the heater from my 20G, may upgrade to a titanium heater with InkBird controller.

Aquascape:
Rock: Bought the CaribSea LifeRock Nano Reef Kit, broke it up and glued back together
Sand: CaribSea Special Grade
Salt: Currently have Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, will keep using this for now

I will be building the stand over the next week. I will be building a furniture grade Mid Century Modern Walnut stand for this thing, as woodworking is another hobby of mine. I'm going to make some modifications to make it a little more affordable and structural since wood (especially Walnut) is wildly expensive these days. I will do a build thread for this once it is done. (The table the tank is sitting on in the below pictures is not permenant and the tank will not have water in it while it is on this table). See aquascape pics and tank stand model below.

Tank Front.jpg
Tank Top.jpg

Stand.PNG

Last edited:

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to see the progress on this one! My 10g anemone tank is one of my absolute favorites!

FYI - I'm switching my heater setup to the new Helio Mini. I run Helios on my other tanks now and I've had nothing but a good experience so far. Plus, the element on the mini is TINY.

OP
OP
M

modenda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to see the progress on this one! My 10g anemone tank is one of my absolute favorites!

FYI - I'm switching my heater setup to the new Helio Mini. I run Helios on my other tanks now and I've had nothing but a good experience so far. Plus, the element on the mini is TINY.
Is that the 30W Helio? That does look tiny, not that expensive either. I live on the coast of South Carolina so i don't need a superpowered heater, seems like a good option. Do you keep the sensor in the first chamber and the heater in the middle chamber?

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the 30W Helio? That does look tiny, not that expensive either. I live on the coast of South Carolina so i don't need a superpowered heater, seems like a good option. Do you keep the sensor in the first chamber and the heater in the middle chamber?

Yes. I've always gone on the 3-5w per gallon for heater sizing. My Nuvo 10 holds an actual 7g of water, so that puts the heater size in the 21-35w range. The 30w Mini is a perfect fit.

Temp sensor on the left of the 2nd chamber, heating element to the right (as looking at the front of the tank). That's the way IM recommends in an AiO tank.

I've been an Inkbird guy for years, but I'm a big fan of the way IM rethought heating elements and controllers with the Helio. I run dual elements on my larger tanks, but that isn't an option on the 10g. I just have a bit more peace of mind with the Helio.

OP
OP
M

modenda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I've always gone on the 3-5w per gallon for heater sizing. My Nuvo 10 holds an actual 7g of water, so that puts the heater size in the 21-35w range. The 30w Mini is a perfect fit.

Temp sensor on the left of the 2nd chamber, heating element to the right (as looking at the front of the tank). That's the way IM recommends in an AiO tank.

I've been an Inkbird guy for years, but I'm a big fan of the way IM rethought heating elements and controllers with the Helio. I run dual elements on my larger tanks, but that isn't an option on the 10g. I just have a bit more peace of mind with the Helio.
I gotcha. I really like the look of that. I havent touched the heater I have in my 20G in years haha, its probably time for something new.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently setting up a CSB tank and I haven’t decided on the flow or lighting

I've been running a Jebao MLW-5 at very low setting in mine. I 3d printed an iSeaLive anemone guard for it.

I bought a new Jebao ELW-3m recently that I would switch in there (smaller and lower flowrate), but there are no anemone guards for it yet.

It's the PERFECT size for the IM 10, though.

OP
OP
M

modenda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently setting up a CSB tank and I haven’t decided on the flow or lighting
I wasn't going to at first. Going to see how the stock return pump does. At this point i'm letting @Hooz guinea pig everything since his tank is much more established lol

OP
OP
M

modenda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the stand mostly finished up this past weekend. Currently have the tank full of RODI water running the pump. The pump was loud for the first day so I took it apart, didn’t notice anything but now that it’s back together it’s almost silent. Have MicroBacter Start XLM and Algae Barn 5280 pods coming in later this week and will get the cycle going. I’m going to be out of town this weekend so may wait until Monday. I’ve done fishless cycles in the past but I’m thinking about just putting the clownfish pair straight in and monitoring ammonia levels.

CA5204CA-08DF-427F-BCF7-7BBC50D37902.jpeg

OP
OP
M

modenda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0F2FBD06-FA09-4A0C-B34D-927EC70C64A8.jpeg
FBDC6495-7D99-489A-BE28-69165B6117C2.jpeg
5CA2A982-0BCB-47EF-BC4B-469E103F1B11.jpeg

Got the last things needed to get the tank started finally. Dosed MicroBacter Start XLM and a jar of @AlgaeBarn 5280 Pods. I then moved my pair of Blacker Ice clowns over to the tank. Watched them all morning and they looked good. Had to go out of town so I dosed Prime and will have the gf watch them and make sure they look ok. Should be good for the weekend I think. Probably should have waited but I want to get the tank up and going because I have someone that wants to buy my old tank so have to get everything out of there.

OP
OP
M

modenda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this tank doing?
Thanks for asking! Still got the tank in the dark, it’s been up and running for about a week and a half. Did the first water change last night, 20%. We have nitrates, tank has been cycled for at least a few days. I’m working on selling the rest of the stuff out of my old tank so I can move my top off over. I have a Tunze Osmolator 3155 currently and I don’t think it will fit in the back cavity of the 10, I’m thinking I’m going to try to make my own bracket so that it will fit. Otherwise I’ll sell it and get a Nano Osmolator. I still haven’t decided what heater to get, luckily I don’t really need one right now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back