I'm switching to t-5's any suggestions please!!!!

efishnsea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers

I have a couple of quick Q's and some tax refund cash to spend.

I've seen too many sweet sps tanks lately running only t-5's that have some amazing acro's. The main thing that I have noticed is that the color of the acros is unreal.

I'm running 3-250 coralvue 10k mh's with 4-96w 50/50 pc actinicts on a 210AGA. I'm looking to get rid of the pc's and add the t-5s on either side of the mh's.

1. Should I run only t5 actinicts or a combo of both daylight t5/actinict t5.
2. I'm looking at the Current retro is there a difference between manufactures or they all the same.
3. Who makes the best bulb or what do you use.

Thanks for any help with my decision.

efishnsea

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 210g by AGA is 29 inches tall. That may be too tall for T5 lights to really get to the lower portion of the tank. Is this a concern for you? could you mix the T5 Actinic with your MH lights? I think the general consensus is that 20" is the Maximum height for a well lit T5 tank (I may be wrong).

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldn't go with a current, you could overdrive on some icecaps

as to bulbs, two ati blueplus and maybe two actinic. def the blueplus

OP
OP
E

efishnsea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldn't go with a current, you could overdrive on some icecaps

as to bulbs, two ati blueplus and maybe two actinic. def the blueplus

Just curious why not current...Overdrive meaning what:confused: ?????

I'll check into the ati's. My LFS sells current and says they are good and come with individual reflectors as well.....

Thanks for the reply:D .....

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When he says overdriving he is talking about using an IceCap ballast to push more watts through the bulb than what it is labeled for. This will make your bulbs brighter and increase the Par, but it will also shorten the life span of the bulbs.

The current nova extreme is a nice setup but for the money, but I would go with the following.

Price is a factor: Tek fixture
Price is not a factor: ATI Powermodule fixture

There are a few keys to T5 fixtures and you hit on one of them. This is my order of most important.

1) Individual Reflectors
2) Waterproof end caps
3) Cooling Fan
4) Splash Guard

BTW, ATI is my bulb of choice and I am in the process of buying some ATI bulbs right now.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have a canopy you should just retrofit a few t5s in there, much less money

the bulbs that come with the current arent' that good iirc

OP
OP
E

efishnsea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ficklefins

Are the Current products poor in terms of quality ect. ????? Will I get a better PAR rating with tek, ati......as compared to Current.

I'm assuming the tek, ati and aquactinics are the leaders in this technology. Just confused what makes them sooooo different.

Thanks again for your input...

efishnsea

OP
OP
E

efishnsea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have a canopy you should just retrofit a few t5s in there, much less money

the bulbs that come with the current arent' that good iirc

Okay the bulbs are one ofthe issues, I sure like the price of the Current retros. Thanks

iirc?????

reefermadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grim at RC is the one to ask...I bought right from his reccomandations and they look awesome. I mounted a Tek-8 bulb on a ball bearing slide so I can change them without taking down my canopy...The chalices grow great under them, and I place zoas at the bottom with good results. I still have a 250 Radium on the last two feet for those shimmer lines and acros that require more intense lighting.

OP
OP
E

efishnsea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grim at RC is the one to ask...I bought right from his reccomandations and they look awesome. I mounted a Tek-8 bulb on a ball bearing slide so I can change them without taking down my canopy...The chalices grow great under them, and I place zoas at the bottom with good results. I still have a 250 Radium on the last two feet for those shimmer lines and acros that require more intense lighting.

Thanks, sounds like a great combo...I'm assuming the type or brand of bulb that is used is very important.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF you want a good actinic bulb go with URI or UVI Super actinic R same bulb that they make for the VHO but T-5.....

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah ive been hearing a lot of good things about the uv/uri super actinic bulb

OP
OP
E

efishnsea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked a Champion Lighting catalog and they only carry current bulbs ????I thought they would carry them????Do I have to go directly to the manufactures of these specialty bulbs.??????

I ordered the Current today "the only retro I could find locally. I guess I'll trash the bulbs and try to find a local supplier of tek, ati, aquanetics bulbs:confused: .

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a mixture of geissemann actinics, korallen coral light and Fiji purples. I love the combination.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back