Impeller shaft came loose on 6 month old tunze 6105.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Teyhas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 6 month old 6105 that the impeller post just fell out on. Been running 2 in pulse mode to make a standing wave. Are these not meant to be used in this fashion? Seems like there was just too much torque on the shaft from the constant starting and stopping and eventually just loosened the shaft from the motor block.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it cleaned in this time? They can run in this fashion but typically after 3-6 months depending on calcium level and KH the drive unit will start to cement to the shaft, if this goes un remedied the friction creates heat that softens the plastic and the torque can then pull the shaft free. In on and off wave mode the calcium builds up faster as the pump when off has no cooling and the heat radiating out of the motor causes rapid deposition of calcium, the mode itself is not a problem but more maintenance is needed, fine sand getting in the pump can also cause the same issue. If the seat is not excessively worn, usually the shaft can be reinstalled, it should seat to where the end of the shaft is barely visible about 1mm above the bottom of the hole in the back of the pump. A drop of superglue on the shaft prior to installing it will lock it in securely.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back