Importance of captive bred fish

Do you think captive breedin is important and have you had experience either buying or selling them?

• Total voters
OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

There’s a reason I’m broke now...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about anywhere else, but in Germany captive-bred Yellow Tangs are now available. They cost double of the wild-caught fish but the benefits to our hobby are huge.
I think they are also availible here. Too

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about anywhere else, but in Germany captive-bred Yellow Tangs are now available. They cost double of the wild-caught fish but the benefits to our hobby are huge.
I have seen some in one of my LFS don’t know the price but i assume it will also cost more but i think it is worth it, not just because we are being better to nature, but also because it would be easier to get it to get used to aquarium life.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a note to OP - I think your pole would have been more complete if a choice had been provided along the lines of: Availability of both wild caught and captive bred fish is important to the future of the hobby.

I was unable to participate in the poll as the choices provided were too one sided.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a note to OP - I think your pole would have been more complete if a choice had been provided along the lines of: Availability of both wild caught and captive bred fish is important to the future of the hobby.

I was unable to participate in the poll as the choices provided were too one sided.
Lol I did that because on my last thread and poll about something else, they said there were too many choices

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't already, I encourage you to watch the videos from BRS of the presentations given at MACNA. Several of the presentations touch on the questions in the initial post. :)
Do you mind summarizing it?

There were about 20 hours of presentations, so kinda hard to summarize... :)

So far the first 9 presentations are ready for viewing here:

bigdrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im relatively new here, but I think it’s great that Reef2Reef facilitates these sorts of conversations. I just listened to a Joe Rogan podcast with a man named Sean, who is essentially a quantum physicist. The main takeaway for me was not about quantum physics, but the need for people to struggle with and think through the more philosophical impacts and states of things, and not just blindly act.

Reefing is nowhere near as deep as quantum physics (which I won’t even pretend to understand), but we do have a responsibility as purveyors of our hobby to take care of it and what it touches, and be responsible with those things. “Thought leadership” is the businessy term that gets thrown around.

Great thought leadership, R2R team.

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive propagated corals and many inverts have been widely available for a while now, and even some people are starting to sexually breed/spawn them, which is awesome. However, saltwater fish have proven more difficult, but available varieties grow by dozens each year and are only increasing. Prices should come down with greater availability, and with luck wild caught prices will increase to cover increased shipping and regulation costs...though there will always be someone willing to cut corners with a better price... Perhaps with better education and awareness on the part of buyers that can be improved...

I haven't always practiced this over the years, but my upcoming 180g tank build will be fully aquacultured, at least to the extent that this is possible...with propagated corals and tank bred and raised fish. There are still a few fish that I would like to have, but if it requires killing a few dozen Anthias or Chromis just so I can keep a few alive in my tank...I'll pass, thanks ;Punch.

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im relatively new here, but I think it’s great that Reef2Reef facilitates these sorts of conversations. I just listened to a Joe Rogan podcast with a man named Sean, who is essentially a quantum physicist. The main takeaway for me was not about quantum physics, but the need for people to struggle with and think through the more philosophical impacts and states of things, and not just blindly act.

Reefing is nowhere near as deep as quantum physics (which I won’t even pretend to understand), but we do have a responsibility as purveyors of our hobby to take care of it and what it touches, and be responsible with those things. “Thought leadership” is the businessy term that gets thrown around.

Great thought leadership, R2R team.
I agree, Rev and the rest of the team, and this site, are WHY I'm actively promoting and practicing aquaculture going forward!

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who here actually has an all captive bred tank?

All my fish, coral, and clams are. I used dry rock. Most of my inverts are from IPSF, they used to advertise as 100% captive bred, but the banner now says "Captive Bred Marine Life." Not sure if that's still 100% or not, but close enough for me.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of captive bred. Paid 2x as much for a CB that was.
Frankly, I'm not a fish collector nor do I care much for exclusivity or prestige.

Running a modest tank, I'd willingly pay 2x current prices for healthy fish that were sustainably captured and better transported. When the world bans fishing all together, I'll be o.k. with no wild caught collection either. Until then, it's hypocritical. I guarantee fish prefer living in large, well-maintained aquariums over being eaten.

Certainly room for improvement in the industry. I'd hope to see some of the closed collection areas re-opened under some sort of supervision or strict best-practices. "Rare" fish = prestige factor = high prices.

Good for the country of origin, good for habitat. Valuable specimens will be transported with greater care and, likely, only bought by hobbyists truly invested in their well being.

Maybe that hobbyist will breed them and in 20 years, I'll be able to afford.

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of captive bred. Paid 2x as much for a CB that was.
Frankly, I'm not a fish collector nor do I care much for exclusivity or prestige.

Running a modest tank, I'd willingly pay 2x current prices for healthy fish that were sustainably captured and better transported. When the world bans fishing all together, I'll be o.k. with no wild caught collection either. Until then, it's hypocritical. I guarantee fish prefer living in large, well-maintained aquariums over being eaten.

Certainly room for improvement in the industry. I'd hope to see some of the closed collection areas re-opened under some sort of supervision or strict best-practices. "Rare" fish = prestige factor = high prices.

Good for the country of origin, good for habitat. Valuable specimens will be transported with greater care and, likely, only bought by hobbyists truly invested in their well being.

Maybe that hobbyist will breed them and in 20 years, I'll be able to afford.
Here, Here!

Back