In a bit of a pickle......

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy I got it from originally had a 2x6 box that raised it up. In hindsight, I'm wondering if that was to accommodate an off level stand. Hmmmmm. Never thought about it till now.

If you're going to end up shimming it i'd still drain it just so you make sure you're as level as you can get and you got as much structure to hold things up.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't think you need to worry about it. The only thing that would disturb me it is if they got back there and physically pull the tank forward.
What if I were to band it at the top to studs? It'd be covered by the lid at that point. That's a relief honestly. Like I said, been that way a while with no change or showing any deflection in the floor itself.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I were to band it at the top to studs? It'd be covered by the lid at that point. That's a relief honestly. Like I said, been that way a while with no change or showing any deflection in the floor itself.

Are you talking about metal strapping? If that so you could do that to the studs behind it through the inside and never see it on the outside

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like pretty much I have a good case to explain to the wife why I need another tank to hold goodies till I shim this one up. At which point I could end up with 2 tanks. Muahaha. She's just happy I'm down to this one and a 20Long. When I did freshwater went a lil overboard till got bit by the salt bug.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what my second thought was. To metal band it to the studs behind. Seeing as how it's not going anywhere. Just that little peace of mind. Wouldn't recomend for a glass tank, but this one is acrylic with a beast of a eurobrace. (An just doesn't seem right before eurobrace although I know it belongs there)

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned of the tank tipping over you could strap the back side stand panels to a stud in the wall with a brace after you shim up the front. I would recommend draining the tank down as much as possible for a quick shim of the front. Most corals get transfered to the tanks by hand in many areas of collection and transport and do not die. Sponges on the other hand may lose the cells that feed the animal by exposure to air. It appears as if the bottom of the tank is not completely supported by the stand. If that is true then you should consider a complete break down and support the entire bottom of the tank. Acrylic tanks should be completely supported on the entire bottom not just a perimiter support like some glass tanks with plastic frames. If not you could have seam failure in the future due to the bottom bowing from weight and water absorption.

Last edited:

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do what!?! I couldn't hear you because of the pumps in the house!
IMG_2389.JPG
IMG_2390.JPG
IMG_2391.JPG

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. The bottom does not have full coverage. However there is a beam that runs center on it underneath and about 2" circumference sits on stand. Think it's still a potential issue?

It's possible? If you have an opportunity to break down and keep everything going I do it. That way you're sure about everything shim the standup put a sheet of plywood underneath the acrylic and you're good to go.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. The bottom does not have full coverage. However there is a beam that runs center on it underneath and about 2" circumference sits on stand. Think it's still a potential issue?

Still a potential issue because acrylic absorbs water and it will deform the bottom permantely. All acrylic tanks should have complete suppport to prevent added stress to the seams. A lot of tank manufactures skimp on the bottom panel thickness to lower cost and that makes it even more of a requirement to have flat support of the entire bottom.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll look to address that issue as well then if go the breakdown route. I've had the tank for over a year and original owner had it for a number of years (unsure of term) on same stand. Will I potentially have an issue with rounding on the bottom already and would it be advisable to put a piece of foam between the tank and new surface?

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll look to address that issue as well then if go the breakdown route. I've had the tank for over a year and original owner had it for a number of years (unsure of term) on same stand. Will I potentially have an issue with rounding on the bottom already and would it be advisable to put a piece of foam between the tank and new surface?

You could have a potential issue. A layer of foam will not hurt it at all as long as it is supported on the entire bottom.

KDuck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a 55 gal tank that had the exact same situation. One day I was watching TV and heard a pop. The front of the tank blew out. We had stinky water, rock, and fish flowing down the stairs that were next to the tank. An unlevel tank is dangerous.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a 55 gal tank that had the exact same situation. One day I was watching TV and heard a pop. The front of the tank blew out. We had stinky water, rock, and fish flowing down the stairs that were next to the tank. An unlevel tank is dangerous.
Mines acrylic so it'll flex a little more. Issue resolved though. New 80 gallon low profile reef tank to come int Tuesday and begin replacing. It finally got the best of me worrying and seeing a smal section of seams that have shown seperation on top. Time to replace and relocate it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back