In a bit of a pickle......

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 90 gallon acrylic tank that has been up for over a year. Finally stable and where I want it. I noticed a while back the tank, all the way down to the stand was slightly unlevel and marked the water marks on the tank and those have not changed. But, the more and more I look at it, the more uncomfortable with the idea of a potential tip over I get. It has about 150# live rock and coral colonies growing between rocks so a breakdown would be devastating (obviously not as devastating as a total failure). Would it be possible to shim up the stand without removal of all water or a total breakdown? Would I be able to hammer some shims under without risk of stand failure (built like a tank)? It is on a carpet floor and running across multiple joists on an exterior wall behind and a load bearing wall to right. I'll upload some level shots (not a fan of this level, wish I had my 4' carpenter level which I will snag from work tomorrow to double check). I'll also include a few shots of inside the stand to show its structural integrity. Worst case, could I partially drain water without removal of rock and coral, shim and level, then refill with same water removed? Looking for all ideas and options here. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas.
(Back to front, back being the high point) my pic is askew so it looks way worse. Lol!
image.jpg

(Left to right, right being the high point)
image.jpg

Stand is a full 3/4 ply skeleton with corner bracing in front.
image.jpg

image.jpg

And the reason I don't wanna break down.
image.jpg

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it sitting on carpet and backed all the way against the wall? If so, you've got the back of the tank sitting on the carpet tacking. If it were me, I'd drain as much as you can and have a couple of very big friends move the tank forward an inch or two. Placing a shim under the front with the back sitting on the tacking would cause instability I believe.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Negative. I made sure. I've got about 4-5" clearance behind stand and beside stand on side. I pulled carpet back before setting in place to make sure I wasn't. Thank you though. I see that oversite a bit on the interwebs

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, now that I think of it and you mention that, something may have hit me. I ran some speaker wire a while ago under the carpet on that side of the room for some rear channel speakers. I moved the speakers, but just cut the wire under the carpet in case moved back. But I would think the weight of the tank would cause it to compress a bit. I'll have to look into that in the am as well

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Negative. I made sure. I've got about 4-5" clearance behind stand and beside stand on side. I pulled carpet back before setting in place to make sure I wasn't. Thank you though. I see that oversite a bit on the interwebs

If that's the case I'd place the shims at the points on the stand where the 2-by's meet the base, i.e. every corner, and where the centers are. Tap a little at the time consecutively until it levels out. The less stress and instability you place on the structural connections at a time the better.

Did you build your stand? If so, you totally understand me. [emoji6]

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not build it, however have an understanding of construction. I'm an apartment maintenance supervisor, which just makes me a jack of all trades, master of none. Lol. The only 2x are on the front corners. The rest is straight up 3/4 ply

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not build it, however have an understanding of construction. I'm an apartment maintenance supervisor, which just makes me a jack of all trades, master of none. Lol. The only 2x are on the front corners. The rest is straight up 3/4 ply

Ok, I'd still shim the center. If that's the case, I'd shim all the way across! [emoji12]

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im watching this thread as I have the same thing going on with my red sea 350 , I'm more worried about it tipping over on to my son as he likes to play with his toys just infront of it

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'd still shim the center. If that's the case, I'd shim all the way across! [emoji12]
That was my thought. To build an almost "shim plate" and slowly ease it in one piece across the entire front then once reach level just trim the excess remaining that sticks out off. I don't doubt the structural integrity of the stand at all, just a bit nervous applying a sideways force. Kinda like sweeping someone's legs out.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out that bottom pic in original post as well as the side shot. See those pipes? They're inside the tank to a bulkhead about 6" off the bottom of the tank. It's like an overflow without the weir. I had to cut the top down a bit lower and put that needlepoint webbing around top as I got a bit worried when heard a couple snails playing plinko in the overflows. Hahaha

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my thought. To build an almost "shim plate" and slowly ease it in one piece across the entire front then once reach level just trim the excess remaining that sticks out off. I don't doubt the structural integrity of the stand at all, just a bit nervous applying a sideways force. Kinda like sweeping someone's legs out.

My thoughts exactly.

OP
OP
ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im watching this thread as I have the same thing going on with my red sea 350 , I'm more worried about it tipping over on to my son as he likes to play with his toys just infront of it
Will keep you updated and tag ya when I get the butterflies out and the umph to do it. I too have a 4 year old who believes jumping with the controller in hand allows him to power up his skylanders. Bahahaha

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out that bottom pic in original post as well as the side shot. See those pipes? They're inside the tank to a bulkhead about 6" off the bottom of the tank. It's like an overflow without the weir. I had to cut the top down a bit lower and put that needlepoint webbing around top as I got a bit worried when heard a couple snails playing plinko in the overflows. Hahaha

Dude that's called accessorizing! LOL!!!

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will keep you updated and tag ya when I get the butterflies out and the umph to do it. I too have a 4 year old who believes jumping with the controller in hand allows him to power up his skylanders. Bahahaha

Are you carpeted on a wood floor say like if oldschool frame house that's up off the ground?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back