In LA for 4 days, any suggestions for LFS near LAX?

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im staying near LAX for 4 days and curious where i can find the best SPS.
I know of vivid only but found a place called lax aquarium. Though dont feel it will have SPS

CoralsAddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. This place seems great. Is it out of his garage? Not familiar with the area so dont want to wonder of in the wrong neighborhood with my son
Lol
I definitely ended up in the wrong neighborhood looking for Ellis Aquatics. Only heard of Piru street from music and documentaries till I went looking for that shop. But Jason at Ellis is nice and has good prices.
if you don’t mind a 45 min drive south-east of LAX i recommend Amazing Aquariums and Reefs in Orange, CA

Espino963

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. This place seems great. Is it out of his garage? Not familiar with the area so dont want to wonder of in the wrong neighborhood with my son
Don’t talk to anyone and no one will talk to you. Born and raised in LA. Nothing to worry about near LAX. You’re good especially during the day. LAPD is active and airport police are always around the airport

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol
I definitely ended up in the wrong neighborhood looking for Ellis Aquatics. Only heard of Piru street from music and documentaries till I went looking for that shop. But Jason at Ellis is nice and has good prices.
if you don’t mind a 45 min drive south-east of LAX i recommend Amazing Aquariums and Reefs in Orange, CA
I live in OC but have never been to Amazing Aquariums. How are they compared to Tong's and Seaside?

MelancholyBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending how far you want to drive you mentioned vivid but about 3 miles from that is golden state corals and about 5 miles from that is unique corals. You need to call unique to make an appointment, but they have a nice selection

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would suggest "golden state corals" as well.... They have the most variety out of all the coral stores/farms I've been to.. prices are fair, they ship out as well..... the owner is very nice. about a 30-40 min drive from LAX. they specialize in SPS corals mostly ... worth the drive.

TigerReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Ellis Aquatics. Jason is knowledgeable. There is a small parking lot behind his shop. If you go, check out Harry's Marine in Gardena (on the way). Harry's has a wide selection of fish, inverts and coral. Looks like a warehouse/industrial area.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest "golden state corals" as well.... They have the most variety out of all the coral stores/farms I've been to.. prices are fair, they ship out as well..... the owner is very nice. about a 30-40 min drive from LAX. they specialize in SPS corals mostly ... worth the drive.
Golden State is a fraction of the size of both vivid, and LAX. I'd say they have the smallest variety and total number of coral. 3/4 of the main flow table is not for sale/grow out early.

LAX acan / hammer section is larger than all of GSC. Vivids acro horseshoe about the same.

zaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in OC but have never been to Amazing Aquariums. How are they compared to Tong's and Seaside?
Go to Amazing Aquariums for the corals. Place is clean with some great tanks and Ali is great to speak with. Very knowledgeable and will not upsell you. If you have never been its worth a visit.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Golden State is a fraction of the size of both vivid, and LAX. I'd say they have the smallest variety and total number of coral. 3/4 of the main flow table is not for sale/grow out early.

LAX acan / hammer section is larger than all of GSC. Vivids acro horseshoe about the same.
When was the last time you were golden state corals? They have expanded and are growing every month as far as inventory on livestock and drygoods.

vivid is overpriced and have plenty of parasites and aptasia to offer with every frag you buy. Im done with those guys.... they will take care of you as far as service, but they are not the friendliest place to go to...

MelancholyBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time you were golden state corals? They have expanded and are growing every month as far as inventory on livestock and drygoods.

vivid is overpriced and have plenty of parasites and aptasia to offer with every frag you buy. Im done with those guys.... they will take care of you as far as service, but they are not the friendliest place to go to...

There's a couple kids who work at vivid who are great, the manager (i think) doesn't have much of a personality and always seems like you're bugging him but i have seen him open up and help out.

Golden state will have a lot more stuff soon since they are expanding but when i was in there a couple weeks ago everything was still being put together. For now vivid still has a bigger selection but i do prefer Golden State

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Last Monday. . . I'm there twice a month. They are still nowhere near the Size of the others.

Everyone deals with issues from time to time. GCS has some aptasia in their mushroom tank bigger than the mushrooms. The Entire front display was Covered in them this time last year. I've found flatworms on their corals even dipping. It's a pretty even playing field. I love that shop. I still know they are small, compared to the two others listed above.

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to put LAX on my list to visit. I have been to Ellis aquatics many times and is my go to although the area is a little scary since it's in the ghetto, I seen some stuff in the streets driving there but don't let that bother you. The shop is great and prices are competitive. If you pay with cash they deduct a certain amount making it almost tax free.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back