In-line heater, coupled with submersible heater??

bongtokebob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am receiving my 170 gallon bowfront acrylic tank next week and I’m thinking of the best way to heat the tank. What I’ve read is that it’s better to have two heat sources and I’ve never heard of someone using an in-line heater along with a submersible heater. Has anyone had any experience with this situation?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t recall seeing anyone using an inline heater. Doesn’t mean it can’t be done. Are you thinking of the kind that are used for spas and hot tubs to maintain temp or the smaller ones for aquariums?

OP
OP
B

bongtokebob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t recall seeing anyone using an inline heater. Doesn’t mean it can’t be done. Are you thinking of the kind that are used for spas and hot tubs to maintain temp or the smaller ones for aquariums?
Yes I’m speaking of an in-line heater for my fish tank. I have 170 gallon aquarium arriving next week and I was wondering if I should use an in-line heater with a submersible heater to maintain the temperature I need. I keep reading how people use two heaters instead of one so let’s say I need a 800 W heater for my 170 gallon tank I I would use a 500w heater coupled with a 300 W heater for safety reasons.

OP
OP
B

bongtokebob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’m speaking of an in-line heater for my fish tank. I have 170 gallon aquarium arriving next week and I was wondering if I should use an in-line heater with a submersible heater to maintain the temperature I need. I keep reading how people use two heaters instead of one so let’s say I need a 800 W heater for my 170 gallon tank I I would use a 500w heater coupled with a 300 W heater for safety reasons.
Maybe I should rephrase that instead of asking if I should use an in-line heater I’m asking if I can

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used an inline heater but I see no reason what you want to do will not work.

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mark C (Mr Saltwatertank) seems to like these for all his client builds.

OP
OP
B

bongtokebob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark C (Mr Saltwatertank) seems to like these for all his client builds.
They don’t seem to make a 500 W inline heater.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 131 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back