In love with husbandry...

Do you love your reef Up-Keep?

• Total voters

Signalhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my water change barrel sprung a leak a couple weeks ago and if I buy a new one then I'll have to do a water change sooo ya, not very motivated to go to home depot (but this thread is tempting me)! Tagging along
Yay!!!! Field trip to Lowes or Home depot...

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my water change barrel sprung a leak a couple weeks ago and if I buy a new one then I'll have to do a water change sooo ya, not very motivated to go to home depot (but this thread is tempting me)! Tagging along

HD... Home Desperate!

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to rip some sheet rock out of the bathroom wall,(the tank was on the other wall) and the sink was close by, so I cut the pipe going up the wall and added the drain to the sink. to bring new water in ran a pipe and wire overhead in the attic space to the garage. I try to do that on the new house but the builder was a butt about it!

I have been on the fence about building and designing my own home with the center of the house being built around it a massive system

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common!!! Let's see the messes!!!

I tried the kitchen today while the better half was away. ;)

20190619_192527.jpg

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our house is split level and the top section where the tank (RSR 250) is, is on brick piers with a timber floor. The tank is only 7’ from the side wall. So I have setup my RODI station outside that wall with an 80L reservoir. In that reservoir is a PMUP and a Eheim CompactON 3000. In my spare room is a small furniture dolly with two barrels sitting on it.

The PMUP is plumbed through the floor and powered from the FMM in the tank sump to automatically fill the stock ATO daily (ATK). No more ATO top-ups for me!

The Eheim is powered from a switch inside next to the tank, and connected to a 1” water line through the floor sitting behind the tank, with an inline 1/4 turn valve. This is my in-house RODI supply. Turn on power, open valve, fill container, turn off valve, turn off power, turn on valve to empty supply line, turn valve back off.

When I do a water change I roll the dolly out of the nearby study over to the tank and fill my NSW barrel with RODI from the in-house supply (27L marked on the barrel). I then wheel it back, dump in salt, pop in a heater and power head and let it mix and come to temp.

When done (generally next morning) I wheel the dolly back over, turn on maintenance mode on the Apex and empty 27 litres of DT water into the waste barrel. I then connect a hose to the power head in the NSW barrel and pump that water into the sump. Halfway through I turn on my return pump, let it empty some from the sump and pause it (as I don’t like to overfill the sump even though it could take the full extra 27L). When the NSW barrel is full I turn everything back on in the tank and the return finishes filling it. Whilst this is happening I use the water in the waste barrel to clean my sponge and Poly Filter. At the end I empty the waste, rinse everything and wheel it away until next time.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our house is split level and the top section where the tank (RSR 250) is, is on brick piers with a timber floor. The tank is only 7’ from the side wall. So I have setup my RODI station outside that wall with an 80L reservoir. In that reservoir is a PMUP and a Eheim CompactON 3000. In my spare room is a small furniture dolly with two barrels sitting on it.

The PMUP is plumbed through the floor and powered from the FMM in the tank sump to automatically fill the stock ATO daily (ATK). No more ATO top-ups for me!

The Eheim is powered from a switch inside next to the tank, and connected to a 1” water line through the floor sitting behind the tank, with an inline 1/4 turn valve. This is my in-house RODI supply. Turn on power, open valve, fill container, turn off valve, turn off power, turn on valve to empty supply line, turn valve back off.

When I do a water change I roll the dolly out of the nearby study over to the tank and fill my NSW barrel with RODI from the in-house supply (27L marked on the barrel). I then wheel it back, dump in salt, pop in a heater and power head and let it mix and come to temp.

When done (generally next morning) I wheel the dolly back over, turn on maintenance mode on the Apex and empty 27 litres of DT water into the waste barrel. I then connect a hose to the power head in the NSW barrel and pump that water into the sump. Halfway through I turn on my return pump, let it empty some from the sump and pause it (as I don’t like to overfill the sump even though it could take the full extra 27L). When the NSW barrel is full I turn everything back on in the tank and the return finishes filling it. Whilst this is happening I use the water in the waste barrel to clean my sponge and Poly Filter. At the end I empty the waste, rinse everything and wheel it away until next time.

Even with all that equipment you still have work to do for a water change. I could live with that. ;)

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with all that equipment you still have work to do for a water change. I could live with that. ;)

One of my next projects will be AWC from the RODI station. I am planning a second tank (RSR 525 XL) so the RODI auto-fill and AWC will come online around the same time the second tank does.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mta_morrow

Let's go sweet cheeks ;)

LOL!

Alright already! As soon as I have time alone, I will do it.

My wife just laughs at me when I try, and then I start laughing!

So next time she is out blowing money, I will do it.

I may limit access to it though [emoji6]

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL!

Alright already! As soon as I have time alone, I will do it.

My wife just laughs at me when I try, and then I start laughing!

So next time she is out blowing money, I will do it.

I may limit access to it though [emoji6]
;Hilarious

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick 5g wc so I dont have to figure out the manual dose. ;)

20190719_191828.jpg

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did it go?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've got a MindStream coming soon, so hopefully that'll mean less manual testing for me. :cool:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back