In stand skimmer?

micahsoft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with running a skimmer in the stand of a Biocube? I know the advantage of Biocube is that it’s AIO, but I don’t like the coralife skimmer I got with the tank. While it does work, it’s noisy (I don’t mind noise as long as it’s steady like a fan) and it fills my display tank with micro bubbles. I am running the intank media basket and fuge and I want to keep the hood on. I don’t mind modifying the rear of the hood to make something work though.

Has anybody had experience with running one in the stand? If so, any advice?

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with running a skimmer in the stand of a Biocube? I know the advantage of Biocube is that it’s AIO, but I don’t like the coralife skimmer I got with the tank. While it does work, it’s noisy (I don’t mind noise as long as it’s steady like a fan) and it fills my display tank with micro bubbles. I am running the intank media basket and fuge and I want to keep the hood on. I don’t mind modifying the rear of the hood to make something work though.

I don’t have experience with biocubes specifically but, as long as there is room in the stand to either run an external skimmer or a little sump with an internal skimmer there should be no problem. Just make sure not to go overkill on the skimmer you get cause it will be to powerful and struggle to work at all. Always go smaller rather than bigger with skimmers, unless you know your gonna feed a ton or have a ton of fish.

OP
OP
micahsoft

micahsoft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have experience with biocubes specifically but, as long as there is room in the stand to either run an external skimmer or a little sump with an internal skimmer there should be no problem. Just make sure not to go overkill on the skimmer you get cause it will be to powerful and struggle to work at all. Always go smaller rather than bigger with skimmers, unless you know your gonna feed a ton or have a ton of fish.
Unfortunately I think most of the skimmers will be pretty large for 32 gallons. I was thinking bigger was better, but a lot of the ones I looked at were for tanks at least twice the size. Thanks for the information. If I go that route, I may have to search around for one small enough to work. Alternatively I could add a sump in the stand if I am add a overflow box and have a larger refugium and a place for a good skimmer in the sump. Kinda defeats the AIO thing, but I don’t have space for a bigger footprint right now.

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I think most of the skimmers will be pretty large for 32 gallons. I was thinking bigger was better, but a lot of the ones I looked at were for tanks at least twice the size. Thanks for the information. If I go that route, I may have to search around for one small enough to work. Alternatively I could add a sump in the stand if I am add a overflow box and have a larger refugium and a place for a good skimmer in the sump. Kinda defeats the AIO thing, but I don’t have space for a bigger footprint right now.
I ran a bio cube skimmerless with only a chaeto fuge for a long time, worked well for me. I had sps growing in there and everything, it was the old hqi model with a halide fixture. On smaller tanks skimmers can just be a pain. You might be better off just getting an auto water change system, I think there are some cheap ones on bulk reef. That would do an even better job than a skimmer especially with such a small tank. You could easily have a 30 gallon Rubbermaid trash can as your reservoir for salt water and change your whole water volume over the course of a month or so.

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a bio cube skimmerless with only a chaeto fuge for a long time, worked well for me. I had sps growing in there and everything, it was the old hqi model with a halide fixture. On smaller tanks skimmers can just be a pain. You might be better off just getting an auto water change system, I think there are some cheap ones on bulk reef. That would do an even better job than a skimmer especially with such a small tank. You could easily have a 30 gallon Rubbermaid trash can as your reservoir for salt water and change your whole water volume over the course of a month or so.

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad for the double message, my phone is wack. But check this out.

OP
OP
micahsoft

micahsoft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’ll look in to that as an option. My only problem would be such a large reservoir near the tank. Tight for space at the moment.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a coral box 300 in my 24, 18" cubed nano for almost 3 years.
Its sitting in the garage now, lol.
It worked very well.
20181101_183436.jpg

OP
OP
micahsoft

micahsoft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, in the end I may do something like this using the eshope nano overflow box, but I’d have to see if I could get it to fit around the hood. Would definetly have to do some trimming. Then I could have a larger refugium, and do things in the sump rather than dozens of cables and hoses running up to the back of the cube.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You probably don’t need a skimmer on that tanks.

Look at the Tunze skimmers. They make a small one that actually works well if you insist on having one.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back