In the market for controller

sevitz5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to add a controller to my tank and am looking at the GHL Profilux4, Apex 2016, and Apex Classic. I know the GHL and the Apex 2016 are $800, but my LFS has a brand new Classic that I can get for $400-$450. I’m kinda leaning towards the classic based solely on price.......what would you guys do? The other options are double the money! Also I want what is the simplest to set up, I’m 52 yrs old, and don’t have much patience left. Thanks

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention... my reply was based on the price for the classic that you mentioned. If you want to spend more, the ghl option would also be a great choice. Or the apex (new versions) can be had in the ballpark of $450

OP
OP
sevitz5

sevitz5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention... my reply was based on the price for the classic that you mentioned. If you want to spend more, the ghl option would also be a great choice. Or the apex (new versions) can be had in the ballpark of $450

The new version apex without the salinity and orp...... can those probes be added later? What is orp actually good for?

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add both later with an expansion module. But if you want salinity the expansion module and apex probe will cost around $200. I'm not really sure what ORP is good for.

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new version apex without the salinity and orp...... can those probes be added later? What is orp actually good for?
Yes, they can be added later. I know very little about what an ORP probe is good for (unless you’re running ozone). BRS has a nice video on this in more detail... check it out or search here on R2R. If I could have bought the apex without the salinity and orp proves I would have... I bought my apex before this EL version was offered.

For me... I basically wanted to monitor parameters remotely while having leak detection and level sensors to add another level of safety/alerts via email or text. Apex fusion is awesome. Really want to keep things simple and basic while safeguarding my tank. Ghl and apex are great options. Found a remarkable deal on an apex so I pulled the trigger. Otherwise I would have weighed my options more closely.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Profilux 4 or Apex 2016. The Classic is basically as the end of its life and will probably be discontinued soon. Technology marches on...

I don’t think you can go wrong with either ecosystem.

Sits Unafraid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After owning a Digital Aquatics RKL for quite a few years, i've recently made the jump to an Apex.
I haven't even had the chance to fully set it up yet, but from what Ive done so far, I can say the Fusion software is the controller interface I wish existed years ago. Now... I did just turn 30 years old this year and have never owned an Apex, so following along with the instructions for setting up a new account and linking to my new controller to my wifi wasn't too difficult for me but It does have some confusing moments where you kinda feel like your going in circles clicking links to set things up. BUT if you don't overthink the process (or get distracted like I did) its actually relatively easy.
If I was helping my father with this Id tell him to have his wifi password handy as he never remembers it. Final advice.... All that said, there really probably aren't any easier options out there and going less expensive usually means "out dated" and "no longer supported" much more quickly. Neptune makes promises of continuing back compatibility but from my experience, in general, I wouldn't recommend buying equipment that is being "phased out." Just my two cents.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love apex, not perfect but it does what I need and it is very reliable. I still am learning to do some custom programming but even without it things are easy, life is good and tank is stable

JackOMalley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'll get some hate, but...

I love the Apex Jr. The only real "limitation" it has functionality-wise is that it's restricted to 4 extra modules on the "Aquabus" communications network. I've got 2 tanks, and I can monitor and log pH, Temp, and various sensors; as well as control the lights and powerheads on both simultaneously.

My data log only contains like a week of data, but if you must you can download it into an excel file.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ghl does offer easier upgrades later. Basic profilix 4 requires no additional modules to add probes later. From my understanding, could be wrong, ghl does not offer a par meter. But their alkalinity controller is already on the market neptune trident is not.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back