In-Wall / Closet Tank Design

geccles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 180G w/ 75G sump that's been running for ~10 years in a ~11' x 13' room in the house. We are doing home renovations and the designer / GC really wants to do an in-wall type design and move the tank into the closet space. The closet is another ~2' on the short side of the room and backs up to a full bathroom. I'm going to have to tear down & move the tank to re-do the floors anyway so I'm already going to be stuck w/ those related issues. It's probably going to be a "no" on the in-wall and I'll put the tank back where it is, but I'm trying to be open-minded and see what they come up with.

I did some google searching and didn't come up with much & what I did find was similar to my prior concerns.

Possible issues I see:
  • The 180G is larger than the closet so would either have to build that out or downsize the tank a bit to make it all work. Both have plusses and minuses.
  • Would need to prime / paint with mildew resistant paint - looks like we'll be painting anyway so not a big deal
  • Need to add ventilation to control moisture
  • Worried about heat management - current tank is running an LED/T5 Combo
  • I'm sure there will be access designed above / below for maintenance - access to back & sides would be an issue
  • Need to factor in power / cord maintenance & ATO
  • Add some sort of drain in the wall or to the side?
  • I have a crawl space - I added supports under the current tank so would need to move that or add another at the new location.
I'm sure it can look really nice if done right but at this point I see a lot more concerns than benefits. The designer says she's done these before and is really excited about this aspect so I'm interested to see what is proposed. If I am interested I'm sure I can work in any design concerns.

If anyone has any experience with doing something similar or has thoughts on pro's & con's let me know what you think.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One option for access concerns would be to plumb the house for a sump room, but that would require you to give up another closet or space in another room for the equipment.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 in wall/closet. You'll love it when done.

Attachments

• 16178357630391249081833217631445.jpg
    16178357630391249081833217631445.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
G

geccles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - remote sump is something to consider - would have to think where that might be.

For those that have something like this already - anything you wish you included or something that was included you wish you didn't?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - remote sump is something to consider - would have to think where that might be.

For those that have something like this already - anything you wish you included or something that was included you wish you didn't?
More access to the side. It was a perfect fit for me and made putting the powerheads on the side a pain. Also more outlets.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back