IN WALL REEF. HOW TO PROTECT DRYWALL ?

b3h0ldrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can put my 2 cents in. I'm a General Contractor and have done extensive work doing bathroom and kitchen renovations. To properly protect and minimize damage from saltwater is a challenge to say the least. Even with everything done right, you will still need to upkeep and maintain, meaning repainting every so often, to checking any structural supports in close contact to water (should have access panels to facilitate easy access and view). Now as suggested using green boards or better yet cement boards, installing a vapor barrier below the actual panels helps tremendously. Some sort of plastic sheeting, below some aqua bar or other type of specialized water resistant paper/felt underlayment. After the water resistant/proof panels are installed, properly mudding the joints with mortar or using something like drylok extreme waterproofer. Going further, painting with a water proof paint like Marine paint will further give protection. Any metal needs to be properly prepped and painted for use with saltwater. After a year, things should be repainted, especially areas that show any signs of damage creeping around. This may seem like a lot, but if you consider the amount of money spent to make your tank the beautiful display it is. This cost and labor is really just a fraction, and helps insure the beauty and health you've invested in.

Melo1

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know.
Salt creep goes everywhere !

I just found that it has also gone behind the adjacent wall, eating the drywall. Need to cut it all out and replace.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really, can you post a link ?
I'll then see if I can find it locally.

Captain Jack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned a ceramic tile and stone installation company for many years. I would use a liquid water proofer. I always hang Durrock cement board on shower walls, do the custom shower pan and then use a liquid water proofer to coat over everything. The best brand in my opinion is Hydro-ban made by Laticrete ($70 gallon), this is a light gray color that can be flood tested in only two hours. You could also go to the Home Depot and purchase Redguard ($35 gallon) made by Custom, this is a red color and takes a little longer to dry, it also peels away easier than Hydro-ban does. I would apply two coats with a paint roller and then paint over it after it dries.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned a ceramic tile and stone installation company for many years. I would use a liquid water proofer. I always hang Durrock cement board on shower walls, do the custom shower pan and then use a liquid water proofer to coat over everything. The best brand in my opinion is Hydro-ban made by Laticrete ($70 gallon), this is a light gray color that can be flood tested in only two hours. You could also go to the Home Depot and purchase Redguard ($35 gallon) made by Custom, this is a red color and takes a little longer to dry, it also peels away easier than Hydro-ban does. I would apply two coats with a paint roller and then paint over it after it dries.

I think my shower tile installer used Hydro-ban over Durrock, it was amazing. Flood tested for 12+ hours and nothing got through.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hydro Ban is expensive, even through Amazon.
The Redguard is $50 at HD.

Does it smell bad, enough to have major airation or about the same as regular paint ?

How durable is it ?

Captain Jack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydro ban is expensive, but you get what you pay for! It is a better product than Redguard, it is more durable and does not peel away, it also does not have as strong of an odor. The odor for
The Hydro Ban is expensive, even through Amazon.
The Redguard is $50 at HD.

Does it smell bad, enough to have major airation or about the same as regular paint ?

How durable is it ?
Hydroban is expensive, but you get what you pay for! It does not peel away as easy as Redguard, it dries faster and is just a better product. It dries like a light greenish gray color. Neither one have a very strong odor, they are both water soluble, so you can clean up with water, they are not solvent based and therefor do not have a terrible odor.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plasti Dip. Make sure drywall and mud are primed and/or painted first. Roll it on quickly. Do 4 coats.

I have regular drywall directly above my in wall reef. Water droplets are constantly on it with 0 problems.

Been like that for 5 years, works perfectly.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back