IN WALL REEF. HOW TO PROTECT DRYWALL ?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last time I did nothing but paint, and the salt spray ate up several inch's around the tank, but also the exposed edges.

I thought of acrylic sheet, but isn't their something cheaper and/or better or some type of real tough wall paper ?

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what you want is to surround the area with "cement board" instead of standard drywall. That's what's used in bathrooms, kitchens, and other wet areas.

If your walls are already up, you can look into "marine board" or "marine paint". There are also sheets of thin plastic that Lowes/HomeDepot sell that you could try (sorry; can't find a link right now...).

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cement board is used in bathrooms if you want to install tile over it. Regular water resistant sheetrock is used in bathrooms if you just want to paint it or put up vinyl. It is called Green Board.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proper ventilation goes a long way too. Think along the lines of exhaust fans moving air outside.

We use a lot of FRP sheet (on top of green board) in installations as well.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the wallboard is already up, as the living room wall backed up to a bedroom, that I have change it as the aquarium room back in the 90's, and returning it back one again, this time was the office.
So, I could replace a section with one, maybe two 4x8 sheet's of green board or maybe use marine paint ?

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caveat: I've never used the marine paint. I was looking to solve a similar problem and ran across that as a possible solution - but never tried it.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could tile over the drywall. Would make for easy cleanup.

It would look and clean up great, but Idon't have the time, plus this is in the fish room, so function is more important than the look. For now,....anyway.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the roll on or spray, rubber coating like "Flex Steel", amoung other brands ?

Or even garage floor epoxy coatings ?

I won't try it as the smell and vapor would be too much for our Cockatoo bird and the reef tanks. Regular paint was bad enough.

Last edited:

Reef Stallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my tank in wall under a staircase. The ventilation around the tank improved. No one saw inside that area anyway. Made it easier to fish wires etc.

NeptuneGarden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic will crack and degrade over time. Look into a sheet of thin stainless steel like used for back splashes behind stoves if you want something that will last for years and clean easily.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OT, but can I ask what kind of paint you used that was bird safe?

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plastic will crack and degrade over time. Look into a sheet of thin stainless steel like used for back splashes behind stoves if you want something that will last for years and clean easily.

That would be expensive and would not go with the room. Cool idea though.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what you want is to surround the area with "cement board" instead of standard drywall. That's what's used in bathrooms, kitchens, and other wet areas.

If your walls are already up, you can look into "marine board" or "marine paint". There are also sheets of thin plastic that Lowes/HomeDepot sell that you could try (sorry; can't find a link right now...).

I used the cement backing and it is nice. Major pain to cut:eek:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back