IN WALL REEF. HOW TO PROTECT DRYWALL ?

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We moved her night cage into another area and left the window open for several days.

"Shelby, My Mechanic Helper

"

Ah I was hoping you found some magical no fume paint lol. She is gorgeous!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been in this closet under a staircase for about 39 years. I have an exhaust fan over it that vents outside. Before I installed the tank I painted the walls, which are wood and regular sheetrock with Thompsons Water Seal.
No problems yet except the stand legs which are galvanized rusted badly.

Stand Leg

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I was hoping you found some magical no fume paint lol. She is gorgeous!

I know I've heard of vegi paint used like when company's use it on wood toys but.....? lol
Do you have a tweet ?

Thanks, we love her to death and she's very,....smart, says a lot of words and very funny !

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been in this closet under a staircase for about 39 years. I have an exhaust fan over it that vents outside. Before I installed the tank I painted the walls, which are wood and regular sheetrock with Thompsons Water Seal.
No problems yet except the stand legs which are galvanized rusted badly.

Stand Leg

WOW, 39 years !!! Amazing !
Would LOVE, to chat with you on the phone about all them 39 years !
I'd get to redoing the stand though....

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a painting business and would recommend Precat epoxy from Sherwin Williams. It is a low VOC product but I would still make sure its properly ventilated while apply and through a few days of the cure. Definitely will handle repeated scrubbing and moisture. Also it's single component and doesn't have a pot life so it's just like applying regular paint.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I've heard of vegi paint used like when company's use it on wood toys but.....? lol
Do you have a tweet ?

Thanks, we love her to death and she's very,....smart, says a lot of words and very funny !

Idk how well that would work for home improvement purposes lol. We are adopting a young tiel next weekend from where I work. He was a drop off from a couple who couldn't keep him, and as much as I don't need a bird, he stole my heart. I tried talking myself out of him for almost 2 months, but I can't live without him. There is a big Bird show coming up next weekend so I am going to stock up on toys for his new (huge) cage then bring him home. Birds are fun, just soooo much work. We had a macaw until my son was born, we couldn't give him as much attention as he needed so a friend who had another macaw took him and he is very happy (but I miss him:() luckily tiels are not nearly as much to take on as the larger birds haha. I asked because I wanted to do some painting but don't think I will have the time before I bring him home. He can always stay at work for a few days when we do decide to paint though:)

2016-09-24-01-07-33.jpg

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's great that you adopted him, and won't do without him now !
He's a very handsome guy.

We're downsizing Shelby's massive, "Kings Cage" to a smaller one to make more room in the fishroom.
She has never,.....used it, just for sleeping. She has a playstand in the livingroom and a small cage out on the deck.
The owner of the rescue we got her from called her,...."lazy"....and she is ! Lol..

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a painting business and would recommend Precat epoxy from Sherwin Williams. It is a low VOC product but I would still make sure its properly ventilated while apply and through a few days of the cure. Definitely will handle repeated scrubbing and moisture. Also it's single component and doesn't have a pot life so it's just like applying regular paint.

The paint is very expensive though.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately for salt resistance, any solution will not be cheap. There aren't much things that will hold up long term. In a side note to your tough wall paper idea, maybe look into some type of self adhesive vinyl flooring? comes in rolls and will adhere to your wall with no issue. you would have to wrap it around the corners on either side of the tank to get a good seal. Just a thought and about as cheap as it gets. For those curious about cutting cement board, you can use a simple exacto knife as long as you cut through the first layer of fiberglass mesh. obviously a saw with a diamond blade is a much easier option but more expensive and is far more messy. If you wanted to use cement board you would have to cover it in something anyway, ideally tile. Green board or blue board is moisture resistant but like regular drywall will not hold up long term against salt.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately for salt resistance, any solution will not be cheap. There aren't much things that will hold up long term. In a side note to your tough wall paper idea, maybe look into some type of self adhesive vinyl flooring? comes in rolls and will adhere to your wall with no issue. you would have to wrap it around the corners on either side of the tank to get a good seal. Just a thought and about as cheap as it gets. For those curious about cutting cement board, you can use a simple exacto knife as long as you cut through the first layer of fiberglass mesh. obviously a saw with a diamond blade is a much easier option but more expensive and is far more messy. If you wanted to use cement board you would have to cover it in something anyway, ideally tile. Green board or blue board is moisture resistant but like regular drywall will not hold up long term against salt.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not quite sure why that posted 3 times lol I apologize for that.

SteveSTL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can cut a few inches of drywall out and replace it with cement board. Then use thinset to mud it. You have to be good with the thinset because you can't really sand it.
That's what I did to a wall near our basement drain that backed up every so often due to tree roots. After the second time, I cut the drywall up 2' put on cement board and skimmed it all. Finally I caulked it at the bottom and put on plastic baseboard and caulked that as well. It backed up twice more and then the tree died and it hasn't backed up in 10 years. The point though is that it all looks like any other wall in the house.

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the wallboard is already up, as the living room wall backed up to a bedroom, that I have change it as the aquarium room back in the 90's, and returning it back one again, this time was the office.
So, I could replace a section with one, maybe two 4x8 sheet's of green board or maybe use marine paint ?
You can install green board then paint a few coats of Drylock for primer then do your final coats of paint with your final color in latex.

DurocShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of commercial restrooms (read: gas stations) use that FRP board. It's dirt cheap, and available in a bunch of pastel colors. You can get corner trim pieces and such too.

Jizu Puentes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used thus styrofoam sheets from homedepot that have a shiny side and taped the seams with aluminum tape.
I honestly dont get that much salt spray on the walls because my tank top has about 3" of glass all the way around.
Screenshot_2017-02-10-20-25-48.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back