Inconsistency in hanna alk reagent

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two bottles of reagent, bought at the same time. One tests at 7.0 and the other at 8.3. Multiple tests, same results. Anyone else experience this much difference in bottles?

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take a sample of each in a clear container and check the colors. I was told by Hanna that the bad batches are more yellowish and the correct should be green.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two bottles of reagent, bought at the same time. One tests at 7.0 and the other at 8.3. Multiple tests, same results. Anyone else experience this much difference in bottles?

That certainly implies a bad reagent bottle to me. I have not encountered that problem since they changed the seal at the top of the bottle. The old foil seal caused the reagent to go bad if stored horizontally. Since they changed that I haven't had issues.

I would have a friend check your alkalinity to try and determine which bottle to throw away. Have you contacted Hanna about this? Has either bottle been opened for a long time?

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That certainly implies a bad reagent bottle to me. I have not encountered that problem since they changed the seal at the top of the bottle. The old foil seal caused the reagent to go bad if stored horizontally. Since they changed that I haven't had issues.

I would have a friend check your alkalinity to try and determine which bottle to throw away. Have you contacted Hanna about this? Has either bottle been opened for a long time?

I just sent a message to Hanna. Both bottles bought and opened within a week. I have another bottle on hand, I’ll use that one today against the other two. Not going to adjust my dosing, I’m sending out a icp test tomorrow so I’ll wait until I get those results back to see where my alk actually is.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back