Increase sharpness?

dgodwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will probably try a faster shutter speed and a wider aperture next time, but any other thoughts welcome. Shot through the glass at the bottom of the 120g . D780 + Sigma 105mm, 1/160, f/8 ISO 4000
780_2788.jpg

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem with those shots even at f8 is the lack of DOF caused by shooting at close distance, try individual fish shots and you will see sharper image of each fish. 2 fish at a bit of distance from each other will have the fish unfocus on sharper than the other one, I sometimes focus on a rock or coral in between which makes both look a bit more in focus but over all both are less sharp. Believe your focus point was in the rock in between the fish which made them look a bit soft.

OP
OP
D

dgodwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was focusing on the bottom fish in the cave, but i agree I don't think I nailed the focus. I've haven't had a macro in quite a while and forget that even at f/8 the DOF isn't that wide. I really should set the minimum aperture to f/11 in a custom setting to use with the lens. Thanks for the feedback

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you all using to take some of the blue intensity out? Just orange gel filters? I find it hard even in lightroom/photoshop to save some areas from the blue tint/blowout at all.

OP
OP
D

dgodwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you all using to take some of the blue intensity out? Just orange gel filters? I find it hard even in lightroom/photoshop to save some areas from the blue tint/blowout at all.
The above photo was shot without any filters, but I adjusted the white balance to get the shot to look more like the tank. I shoot in Raw format and later convert to jpeg in lightroom

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back