Increasing nutrients remove refugium?

zweebe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had my skimmer off for just over 24 hours, I noticed my p04 rised a little and my nitrate actually went down. I did notice extreme PE this morning when the lights started to come on so the Cora’s are definitely responding. I’m keep my “refugiun” going and just going to let the skimmer stay off until the n03 raised to 1-2 ppm and stays there and then maybe I’ll go back to part time skimming but it’s my understanding this is the true paletta method? I have all macro and miracle mud in my sump and no skimmer running.

I'm actually trying to rise my Po4 and No3 also since I have undetectable values for both of them... I'm actually thinking about switch off my skimmer but I don't know when and for how much time I need to turn it off? Should I switch off for 24h non stop and then switch on for 24h etc... or should I switch it off from 2 hours and then switch on for 2 hours etc..?

Could be interesting to share our experiences to know how it can evolve :)
Thanks

OP
OP
Ling_Thing

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually trying to rise my Po4 and No3 also since I have undetectable values for both of them... I'm actually thinking about switch off my skimmer but I don't know when and for how much time I need to turn it off? Should I switch off for 24h non stop and then switch on for 24h etc... or should I switch it off from 2 hours and then switch on for 2 hours etc..?

Could be interesting to share our experiences to know how it can evolve :)
Thanks
As of now I’m leaving it off during the day and turning it on at night. I’ll let you know how my nutrients are in a few days. I was due for a 15g WC in my reefer 450 last night so after that my p04 and n03 were 0 again surprise surprise, so I dosed me coral n03 and neophos to bump them up to detectable levels to start with again so ill keep you updated.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of now I’m leaving it off during the day and turning it on at night. I’ll let you know how my nutrients are in a few days. I was due for a 15g WC in my reefer 450 last night so after that my p04 and n03 were 0 again surprise surprise, so I dosed me coral n03 and neophos to bump them up to detectable levels to start with again so ill keep you updated.
Do you ever pull any algae out of your fuge, or is it not growing in?

OP
OP
Ling_Thing

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you ever pull any algae out of your fuge, or is it not growing in?
It’s not growing really, more of the brown film algae on the glass and such but it is staying green and not bleaching so it’s maintaining I suppose

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an odd situation! Well, assuming you don't have an algae issue in your DT but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Skimmers are decent and pulling nutrients out of our tanks, but not great. I'm interested to see how your tank responds.

OP
OP
Ling_Thing

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s interesting last time I had a glass algae problem in my dt just a light film of algae I would scrape it and it would come back in about an hour and I realize my nutrients were all at zero so I dosed n03 And p04 accordingly to get to my target 1-2 ppm n03 and .04 p04 and After a day I don’t have to clean my glass for two weeks with elevated nutrients. now with zero nutrients again I’m back to cleaning the glass a couple of times a day and its hard to get my n03 and p04 back to stable levels as it consumes a lot of n03 and p04 when I start dosing to try and get it back stable and once’s it’s stable I have an idea how much I need to dose daily.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 42 71.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back