Increasing TDS between DI filters

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3 stage di setup that I’ve been using for 6 months. It’s the BRS cation/anion/mixed bed setup. I just replaced all three medias with brand new unopened single size packages. I did my initial run after the replacements and I’m seeing an increase in TDS by 8-10 from incoming to the unit compared to after the cation/anion stages. Previously the first 2 stages can take it to 0 and the third is more a backup. Has anyone have experience or insight in to if I got bad media?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An anion or cation only di filter SHOULD raise tds as they swap ions in the water for H+ and OH-, both of which are more conductive than any other ions that they replace. When water passes through both, the H+ and OH- combine to form water and the conductivity drops again.

OP
OP
ti_lavender

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try running a few gallons through to see if the tds goes to zero.

An anion or cation only di filter SHOULD raise tds as they swap ions in the water for H+ and OH-, both of which are more conductive than any other ions that they replace. When water passes through both, the H+ and OH- combine to form water and the conductivity drops again.
The TDS meter I have reads before the cation and after the anion so I should still see a net reduction.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try running a few gallons through to see if the tds goes to zero.

The TDS meter I have reads before the cation and after the anion so I should still see a net reduction.

Yes, after both, when both are working perfectly, it should be zero, but since you have a mixed bed after that as well, it’s ok that it is not.

it may soon be time to replace one ir both if the single bed stages.

OP
OP
ti_lavender

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: after about 2 gallons the TDS dropped to zero. Thanks for the help. Now I know to do a flush after the DI change.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back