Incredibly Nasty Case of Flukes

holly

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice. I'm an avid reader of this forum, but I'm finding trouble conquering this one so I thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas.

Background: I brought in six medium/large fish last month that went right into my 110 gallon QT--emperor, naso, blueface, copperband, queen, and Achilles. The blueface and Achilles came in with sores so I began metro/kanaplex/focus in their food. Within two days, prominent signs of ich surfaced and I began copper. Full copper was achieved 8/23.

I noticed signs of flukes on the emperor (particularly his eye) on 9/4, and a freshwater dip confirmed flukes. Although I try to avoid mixing meds, desperate times call for desperate measures--so, I began Prazi that day, with a second dose on 9/9. The queen and blueface both stopped eating and went into hiding shortly thereafter, and the copperband began twitching again. The emperor's eye still looks bad. I did a third round of Prazi on 9/13 (three days ago). Last night, I saw that both the queen and blueface had cloudy eyes so I freshwater dipped--and it snowed. Pics below. I dipped the others (except the emperor) and confirmed flukes, although not as bad.

These are either Prazi-resistent flukes or there are so many that Prazi is only having a minimal effect. I thought about Formalin but because the Achilles and blueface have open sores and given the health of the emperor I'm concerned it would be too harsh.

I hate using all these meds, but I don't see any other options. I'm keeping the water quality up with regular water changes. I monitor copper daily. Amazingly, none of these beautiful fish have died, but that's coming if I don't figure this out. I'm planning on a large water change today and was considering hyposalinity. I don't know of any other options. Thought welcome.

Flukes in bucket.jpg
Fluke closeup.jpg
Emperor eye.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is a tough case.

Hopefully one of the more experience members will show up but I think I would try Metroplex next. Or even preferably, API General Cure since it contains Metro and Prazi. The combo of the two might help and the metronidazole can also help fend off infections.

OP
OP
holly

holly

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply, Brew. Unfortunately, they've been on Metro and Kanaplex for sores they came in with. Ugh. The good news is that the sores are improving!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you are dealing with prazi resistant flukes. Two alternative treatments:
  1. Drop the fish down into hypo for 5 days: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hyposalinity.247596/
  2. Perform a 30-45 min formalin bath, followed by transfer into a new/sterile QT to prevent reinfection. You'll need to rinse & repeat this process in one week to eliminate any hatchlings.
I know the formalin bath will work because I've tested it; 5 days in hypo I've only read about. However, hypo would be a lot gentler on your fish than using formalin.

OP
OP
holly

holly

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have concerns about formalin because of open sores and the overall health of the fish. It sounds like hypo might be my best bet. I will have to completely abandon the copper treatment though. I wish I could get the full 30 days of copper before doing the hypo, but I don't think I can delay.

What's my best bet to get the copper out quickly? Carbon and a large water change? How long do you think I should wait for the carbon to work before doing the hypo?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's my best bet to get the copper out quickly? Carbon and a large water change? How long do you think I should wait for the carbon to work before doing the hypo?

What type of copper? Cuprisorb is pretty good for pulling out Cupramine: http://www.seachem.com/cuprisorb.php

But I've found a poly filter is best at removing chelated copper (e.g. Coppersafe): http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4335

Carbon doesn't work too well for removing copper.

OP
OP
holly

holly

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Because formalin was not an option (open sores) I opted for hyposalinity, with amazing results. Although I lost the emperor (he was really bad off to begin with), the Achilles and blueface have completely turned around. I have kept them at 1.010 for three weeks now and a freshwater dip is clear so I'll be bringing them back up to 1.025 over the next couple of weeks.

Here are a couple of before/after shots:

Blueface (before):
blueface before.jpg

Blueface (after):
blueface after (2).jpg

Achilles (before):
achilles before.jpg

Achilles (after):
Achilles after (2).jpg

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back