Indonesia’s coral ban ?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol-If you make a claim, you have to provide evidence to support it. Otherwise, it's crap.

WP_20200125_21_57_49_Pro.jpg

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the nice gemmiferas I remember & own came from Fiji, anyway. They're not coming back.
I wouldn't count Fiji out. After talking to Walt Smith at MACNA he was saying that they may be allowing coral shipments again. I'm not sure if he was talking about all corals or just cultured corals, but it is something that coral farmers there have been fighting for, but this is all still speculation. I hope Fiji will open back up again even if it is just for cultured corals. From what I understand is that the government there has no idea how corals work and don't believe that fragging a colony can make more coral, and that is how farms like Walt's make their product. I haven't heard much about Fiji lately but maybe we'll see what happens. It sounds like education is what the government there needs. Now that Indonesia is starting to open back up again perhaps Fiji will change their tune.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What does that prove? You have access to a list, everyone could have back then, and probably still can now. The claim about wilds not being collected until 2030 was the statement in question from someone else.
true sorry

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't count Fiji out. After talking to Walt Smith at MACNA he was saying that they may be allowing coral shipments again. I'm not sure if he was talking about all corals or just cultured corals, but it is something that coral farmers there have been fighting for, but this is all still speculation. I hope Fiji will open back up again even if it is just for cultured corals. From what I understand is that the government there has no idea how corals work and don't believe that fragging a colony can make more coral, and that is how farms like Walt's make their product. I haven't heard much about Fiji lately but maybe we'll see what happens. It sounds like education is what the government there needs. Now that Indonesia is starting to open back up again perhaps Fiji will change their tune.

Yea if I had to guess, figi won’t stay closed forever. I do miss their wild shipments the most. My favorite corals in my tank are wilds from there that I haven’t seen for a long time.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea if I had to guess, figi won’t stay closed forever. I do miss their wild shipments the most. My favorite corals in my tank are wilds from there that I haven’t seen for a long time.
So... time to upload a pic of that mythical tank or what??? I gave you 6 mos since I last asked you!!!

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have seen (online) fiji soft corals again for sale from one vendor in Canada. I would be happy to just get a new really yellow leather.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does that prove? You have access to a list, everyone could have back then, and probably still can now. The claim about wilds not being collected until 2030 was the statement in question from someone else.

His reply proves even less than access to a list. All it proves is that he has access to Microsoft Excel.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry guys not here for debates here to help,

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry guys not here for debates here to help,

Here is a photo and link to an article from this month about current mariculture facilities in Indonesia. Think about how ridiculous your comment is about them not being able to harvest these for export for another 10 years.

Bali-Coral-Farm-5 (1).jpg

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to dr. Mac

“Word from same supplier:

Every wild corals price will be up around 30-40% from last time 2018 price”

If that is true they are going to be pricy pieces then. Up there with Aussie prices and most likely not as large. Better than nothing though that’s for sure. I am sure there will be a few things we haven’t seen for a while being sent out.
Of course he said that. His prices have always been high, even pre ban.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
mariculture farm, i only said wild

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
mc

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course he said that. His prices have always been high, even pre ban.

I hear you. I live driving distance to there and have never been because I don’t think prices or selection from them is good enough for the drive. But he was not referring to his corals he was commenting on prices in general, we will see what happens soon though. Once people actually start selling colonies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back