Indonesia’s coral ban ?

Streetdoc77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friend sent this to me .... everybody’s thoughts ?

3CFCDD2D-E99E-4070-941F-37B13E8075FA.jpeg

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we have 1 less source for live wild and cultured corals. Mariculture and aquaculture is becoming more and more important not only to our hobby but to the wild reefs as well. Many of these mariculture farms are involved in rebuilding the dead reefs by putting live corals back on the reef. Without our money from buying those imported corals their availability to do this stops. Really sad but closing the fisheries is an attempt save them I just dont think thats the right way to go abaout it.

honkit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that the Indonesian minister who was responsible for the coral shipment ban has been replaced after a recent general election in Indonesia, it will be interesting to see if the ban is lifted. Fingers crossed we can see some shipments soon.....

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that the Indonesian minister who was responsible for the coral shipment ban has been replaced after a recent general election in Indonesia, it will be interesting to see if the ban is lifted. Fingers crossed we can see some shipments soon.....
That's what I'm hoping too. The only problem is we probably wont see prices drop. Everyone got used to the cost from the hike after the ban. So now even if they do open the exports again I'm sure prices will stay high. Ugh.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Susi Pudjiastuti is Indonesia's Minister of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries and she is the one who put the ban on.
So if she stays there will be no ban lifted but if she is replaced there could be a lift and there is talk she might.
She is supposed to be replaced with Edhy Prabowo. I have no idea who this person is or their stance on corals.
At this point it may be hard to get things rolling again and may be a while if it ever even gets back to the point it was.
We should actually know if she is gone soon from what I heard this weekend.

Last edited:

honkit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm hoping too. The only problem is we probably wont see prices drop. Everyone got used to the cost from the hike after the ban. So now even if they do open the exports again I'm sure prices will stay high. Ugh.
If the ban is lifted, my guess is the first few shipments would be very good value as they ship colonies at lower prices to clear stocks. Prices will probably creep up again with time.

honkit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Susi Pudjiastuti is Indonesia's Minister of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries and she is the one who put the ban on.
So if she stays there will be no ban lifted but if she is replaced there could be a lift and there is talk she might.
She is supposed to be replaced with Edhy Prabowo. I have no idea who this person is or their stance on corals.
At this point it may be hard to get things rolling again and may be a while if it ever even gets back to the point it was.
We should actually know if she is gone soon from what I heard this weekend.
The new cabinet of ministers has already been announced. It's official and Edhy has replaced Susi.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the ban is lifted, my guess is the first few shipments would be very good value as they ship colonies at lower prices to clear stocks. Prices will probably creep up again with time.
Thw cost may be lower for wholesalers and retailers. But I dont see the final.cost to the consumer coming down. Just a higher profit margin.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 2014-2019, Edhy served as Chair of Commission IV of the DPR-RI in charge of agriculture, plantations, forestry, marine affairs, fisheries and food.

The new guy could have been part of the ban? I guess it depends on his stance during this time?

honkit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 2014-2019, Edhy served as Chair of Commission IV of the DPR-RI in charge of agriculture, plantations, forestry, marine affairs, fisheries and food.

The new guy could have been part of the ban? I guess it depends on his stance during this time?
The ban was solely due to one person and that was the now former fisheries minister.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind the price to stay high, but I do hope the money does go to the source instead of the supply chain, to really help the locals economy and reef rebuilding efforts, to really make a strong case that mariculture and export have positive impact on their local reef and economy.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you imagine what’s been growing on those racks all this time?
^^^ this, if they were no longer able to export maricultured coral, there are racks on racks of massive amounts of coral, maybe they are using them for reef restoration now? I cant imagine them just leaving those gardens out there.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back