Indonesia’s coral ban ?

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you imagine what’s been growing on those racks all this time?

Those are probably too big to qualify for export now. It's good for the reef though.
^^^ this, if they were no longer able to export maricultured coral, there are racks on racks of massive amounts of coral, maybe they are using them for reef restoration now? I cant imagine them just leaving those gardens out there.

They can only be used for restoration now, because there were strict size limit on qualifying export. Frags that grown too big can't be exported even before the ban.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Multiple promises to resume shipping and I've yet to see it

dunno.jpg

boostedbeast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point the hobby is self sustaining. Do we really need to take anything else from the ocean anyways?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The new cabinet of ministers has already been announced. It's official and Edhy has replaced Susi.

That could be good.
Hopefully this person does not have the same views as Susi and I doubt the coral ban is the first thing on the agenda..
No one can be as extreeme as Susi.
This is the first sign of hope we have had in a while. Maybe mariculture can at least get going.

flockaveli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be self sustaining but not really economical for the average hobbyist. Growing corals on a mariculture farm has no negative effect on the ocean, and no aquaculture facility can replicate the growth. It's essentially a giant grow-out tank creating new structure, and refuge for reef life. While at the same time holding a steady supply so prices don't become even more outrageous.

IMO, keeping the mariculture operations exporting is one of the best ways to preserve the reefs globally. It's also a great income producing business for local Indonesians. Too bad the leaders of these countries don't see it that way.

I really would love to see exporting open up again from Indo, but I agree I wouldn't get my hopes up until I see shipments coming in.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point the hobby is self sustaining. Do we really need to take anything else from the ocean anyways?

They grow corals for export as well as reef restoration. But the ban bans all export, even the mariculture and agriculture ones. I think we will still taking coral from the ocean, but just not as colony to sold directly, but as seed to grow frags for sale. Also the ocean is the only source for discovering new corals, we definitively want that.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

It is not even close to it especially on the fish side of things.
Still are tons of corals being brought in and chopped up...
If all wild collecting ended right now prices for most corals would be as high as gold torches.
Prices would drop fast because most would drop out of the hobby.
Technically it could be sustainable but allot would have to drop out.
I think people think because they buy a frag it is not wild coral and allot still are.
The real problem is most aquaculture is focused on sps and not lps or other corals.

Last edited:

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no need for imagination.

wow, thanks for sharing. That's great to know work is in progress on regulation and mariculture. Looking forward to the new corals coming out of this.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wow, thanks for sharing. That's great to know work is in progress on regulation and mariculture. Looking forward to the new corals coming out of this.

That was old and Reef builders has been wrong all the time on the Indo situation.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was old and Reef builders has been wrong all the time on the Indo situation.
Shared it more for the pictures, not the work on regs.

Also KPKHNmariculturecoral on facebook has a decent video from a few months back one of the mariculture set ups. Cant figure out how to get a link off the app on my phone. Grr

Edit! Golden Marindo seems to be doing ok. Those torches lol daaaang

Last edited:

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If all wild collecting ended right now prices for most corals would be as high as gold torches.
I think people think because they buy a frag it is not wild coral and allot still are.
The real problem is most aquaculture is focused on sps and not lps or other corals.

I agree. Coral is definitely far from self-sustaining for the number of people in the hobby today. I think a lot of people tend to underestimate how long it really takes to grow coral out, without fragging it even. Start cutting them up regularly and it's excruciating lol. Believe me.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, a lot of vendors kind of imply they aquaculture their stuff by putting their name on it. The reality is most just get the wild colonies colored up then chop them all up without any thought to the future. If they all grew out what they sell, then the hobby could be self sustaining, in theory at least. But that would wreak havoc on the current business model of offering limited edition corals for lots of money.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, a lot of vendors kind of imply they aquaculture their stuff by putting their name on it. The reality is most just get the wild colonies colored up then chop them all up without any thought to the future. If they all grew out what they sell, then the hobby could be self sustaining, in theory at least. But that would wreak havoc on the current business model of offering limited edition corals for lots of money.
^^^this is what a lot dont understand, a lot of "chop shop" action goes on in the "frag business"

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive been waiting VERY PATIENTLY for them to resume shipping as promised.

cycle.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back