Indonesia’s coral ban ?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It seems that a New Orleans LFS has had its CITES permit approved for a Bali shipment.

Awesome news from Indo! The coral ban has been lifted!! Our Official CITES have been issued to Aquatic Sealife for first shipments leaving Bali! Look for shipments to arrive by late December or early January! Enjoy the attached eye candy photos!

I would be a little leary of that. CITES has not been the issue it is health certificates.

Others have claimed the same in the past only to not be issued a health certificates.

Also seems a little soon. It seems to me it would take a little bit to get infrastructure back online. Plus they want a better way to police collection and shipments.

We will see I guess.

Last I heard is it will most likely open but under far greater restrictions and quantities. They supposedly will be allowing mariculture but far less off the reef. They also want to have far better control with what is collected and shipped. This also is going to extend to fish.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those pics on reef builders are over flowing, lets hope they will be allowed to collect those before it becomes a island.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea those pics make me drool, the racks will probably rust and fall over after a while!

But I do agree with shred5 and it sounds like this place just isn’t aware of what’s been going on exactly. But hey if they are the first to get boxes over here more power to them and I would be excited to see what comes over but I would bet it won’t happen.

Last edited:

honkit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipments start again from Indonesia but in limited quantities (for now) and with some newly established restrictions

Considering prices of certain items, it will be very tempting for some to do stupid things and take shortcuts but stakeholders in the coral farming industry need to understand, that this will jeopardize the whole industry again, and everyone will pay again for it, if it happens.

I would be willing to bet ,, this will take place ,,

Last edited:

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering prices of certain items, it will be very tempting for some to do stupid things and take shortcuts but stakeholders in the coral farming industry need to understand, that this will jeopardize the whole industry again, and everyone will pay again for it, if it happens.

I would be willing to bet ,, this will take place ,,
Greed is the root of all evil.

appears the farmers are well aware of what people pay, and prices won’t drop much at all, if any.

OP
OP
Streetdoc77

Streetdoc77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting the article @honkit !
Had a feeling that if the ban was lifted there would be a lot more regulation on exports if not a flat out ban forever ....

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS said their pricing for Indo corals will increase by 5% from pre ban pricing. They are going to be getting a large shippment of torch corals and euphilia soon. Im excited to see what comes in.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS said their pricing for Indo corals will increase by 5% from pre ban pricing. They are going to be getting a large shippment of torch corals and euphilia soon. Im excited to see what comes in.

Did the LFS give you any idea when he would be getting the shipment in ? I haven't read anything like ,,, corals have started being shipped out of Indo ,, I am waiting for new Chalice Corals to start coming in :) all the vendors are selling the same Chalice's :( will be awesome to see new choices coming in ,,

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well pre ban prices were cheap, so 5% isn’t much. Sounds reasonable.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to dr. Mac

“Word from same supplier:

Every wild corals price will be up around 30-40% from last time 2018 price”

If that is true they are going to be pricy pieces then. Up there with Aussie prices and most likely not as large. Better than nothing though that’s for sure. I am sure there will be a few things we haven’t seen for a while being sent out.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to guess I would say we are going to be seeing 200 dollar standard mariculture acropora. The very nice ones will be much more, I remember aqua sd selling their hot pieces for 250-400 before indo shut down. The good ones won’t be cheaper than that now, that’s for sure. All I care about is having a wider array of options to choose from personally.

greekspec2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
82336787_2705214136192250_5286820139663097856_o.jpg

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can we buy colonies?
One of the sponsors her os advertising Indo SPS coral for sale.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back