Indonesia’s coral ban ?

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Frags, seriously???

That's a joke especially when most of those corals you can get frags from reef hobbyists right on this site that have already been in their tanks for years.

I don't see anything special in those pictures.

KristianS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that no CITES are required if bringing back less than $2500 worth for hobby reasons, no more than 7 examples of specific specimen

honkit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to see coral shipments from Indonesia flowing again albeit at a slow pace. The US, Europe and Hong Kong have received shipments but none yet to Singapore - probably due to cites permits being prioritized for the larger markets for now.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speculations abound ....

Hey Paul have you gone and seen any new Indo shipments? I know Candy Corals has brought in Indo. I even saw a big al's location post about it too (forget which one). I would guess most of the other regular reef shops in GTA have either brought in or in the process of....

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that no CITES are required if bringing back less than $2500 worth for hobby reasons, no more than 7 examples of specific specimen

Problem is getting the corals from the farms. I would defiantly get in touch with them before trying it so you don’t get your hopes up. If anyone is successful please let us know.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frags, seriously???

That's a joke especially when most of those corals you can get frags from reef hobbyists right on this site that have already been in their tanks for years.

I don't see anything special in those pictures.

I agree frags aren’t really what anyone is after unless it’s something special to that person. But you can’t get frags of a number of things from most reefers on this site. Most reefcrest corals are not grown by anyone who is fraging and selling on this site and people like me are really excited to be able to get these pieces again at some point. Nothing is more exciting than growing a nubby acro, not many can and not many even try.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Buying frags off cut off of mariculture pieces that landed less than 1 week ago. Seems like a pretty big risk imo.

I recall a not too distant reef2reef past where a gone but not forgotten vendor, MrCoral was ran out of here on a rail for doing just that lol. Sentiments have changed a bit i'd say.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the prices are gonna drop. Too much competition out there. People trying to sell it for higher prices will quickly find themselves broke.

They will gouge "the gotta have right now" " can not wait" " look at me people" first and prices will level out.
They will chop up the first ones into tiny pieces to sell to those people.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recall a not too distant reef2reef past where a gone but not forgotten vendor, MrCoral was ran out of here on a rail for doing just that lol. Sentiments have changed a bit i'd say.

MR Coral was doing bait and switch.
I had issues with a goni shipment which was supposed to be a bunch of different gonis from him where it was supposed to be WYSIWYG and they were not even on the same plugs as the pictures. I ordered a bunch and got pretty much a colony chopped up of mostly the same coral. Then for 6 months he used the same pictures of the ones he was supposed to have sold me as WYSIWYG. That guy was doing allot of screwy stuff.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I live close to Where mr. coral was and liked to go there when they got stuff in but would never order online. They messed up a lot of orders and had bad communication afterwards from what I remember. Lots of people complaining about Doa’s as well. One of my favorite pieces was from him 12 years ago and I am still growing it even though it’s not my favorite anymore. The place was ok for a visit every now and then after they got stuff in but towards the end the amount they got in was small and not worth my trip. I have always wanted to try and make a shop like this and do it right but never had the time.
Chop shops are great if the vendor is upfront and actually lets the corals heal while not pricing the corals high. But that’s rare. Most people don’t even know they are buying from one, they think they are getting naked pieces with lineage just because it’s named on the site.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hello sorry cannot disclose,sorry

reply to pedoconfuego,and all sorry

Fish guy where did you hear no wilds til 2030? That would be horrible news but I haven’t heard anything like that yet.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would have to get CITIES permits and clear them through Fish and Wildlife/Department of Agriculture when you arrive in the US. It's unlikely you will find a farm that will sell to you.

If I were going there, I'd try to visit as many mariculture facilities as possible to see what kind of work they're doing firsthand. I think this would be a super rewarding experience and a something that could be shared via an article with this community...

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would have to get CITIES permits and clear them through Fish and Wildlife/Department of Agriculture when you arrive in the US. It's unlikely you will find a farm that will sell to you.
If you grease the right hands with enough paper in your hands, anything is possible...

KristianS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were going there, I'd try to visit as many mariculture facilities as possible to see what kind of work they're doing firsthand. I think this would be a super rewarding experience and a something that could be shared via an article with this community...
I plan on it. Going to check out the big ones i find, ill be there two weeks. Also going to be diving/snorkeling

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello sorry cannot disclose,sorry

reply to pedoconfuego,and all sorry

Fish guy where did you hear no wilds til 2030? That would be horrible news but I haven’t heard anything like that yet.

Odd, but thanks for replying anyways. I will believe that when I see it. I would think they would leave the idea opened for a while or just keep it locked for a few years. There is a lot of money being missed out on that area.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree frags aren’t really what anyone is after unless it’s something special to that person. But you can’t get frags of a number of things from most reefers on this site. Most reefcrest corals are not grown by anyone who is fraging and selling on this site and people like me are really excited to be able to get these pieces again at some point. Nothing is more exciting than growing a nubby acro, not many can and not many even try.

If you're talking about A. samoensis, and a select few others I agree, but every coral pictured in that vendor thread link is common and widely available from many sources.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are only 9 species that are able to ship right now that I am aware of, that’s why things are not blowing up. And I do agree figi had much more variety, but indo certainly has the ability to provide us with lots of options. In time I am sure things will pick up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back