Inducing exoskeleton shedding in Lysmata sp.?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 26, 2020
Messages
2,070
Reaction score
1,918
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to induce exoskeletal shedding in Lysmata shrimp? I know that lysmata shrimp get berried post-shedding, and for the purpose of mass culture, is it possible to induce a large number of shrimp to shed on a given day to "align" their shed cycles so they'll all be berried at the same time, and have roughly the same hatch night?
 
I was always taught iodine (Lugols) can hasten a molt in crustaceans, but in practical application, it never seemed to work for me. I have seen simultaneous molts in giant crabs- I think it is a reaction to hormones released by the first crab setting off the other ones.

Jay
 
I was always taught iodine (Lugols) can hasten a molt in crustaceans, but in practical application, it never seemed to work for me. I have seen simultaneous molts in giant crabs- I think it is a reaction to hormones released by the first crab setting off the other ones.

Jay
I've definitely seen the BBC molting giant crabs video. But I didn't know about the iodine thing. Was there a specific treatment, or was it more like "iodine supplementation makes them molt faster" ?

Guess I'll add it to the list of things I need to find out....
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new