Industrial Hinges

tgbaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of building and in-wall tank and I’m struggling to find the right solution for the front access panel.

It will run the length of the tank (6ft) and will be once piece. My contractor says it could weigh over 40lbs.

I’m looking for a set of heavy duty lift assist hinges that are strong enough to support the weight of the panel.

I found these but they are on the border of the
max weight limit.

Here is the current state of the build.

2A9AFF55-4296-4A9F-91B2-3DD05CEF5313.jpeg

OP
OP
tgbaby

tgbaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a fish room? If so, I only access my tank from the fish room on my inwall setup.would
I will have access, but not enough space to really call it a fish room. Definitely want front access as the tank is 72x36x24 and would be difficult for me to reach the front from the back of the tank.

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, I am in the process of building a new 84"x30"x25" peninsula reef. I will have the same question about hinges. I am considering using folding shelf brackets.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d add a few pneumatic closers (like on screen doors) to help control it when it’s closing, no matter which hinges you decide on. The last thing you want is for it to slam into your tank if you drop it.

I had a similar challenge and wound up using hidden barn door sliders to roll the door in and out, but with a doorway beside your tank that’s probably not an option for your situation.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of building and in-wall tank and I’m struggling to find the right solution for the front access panel.

It will run the length of the tank (6ft) and will be once piece. My contractor says it could weigh over 40lbs.

I’m looking for a set of heavy duty lift assist hinges that are strong enough to support the weight of the panel.

I found these but they are on the border of the
max weight limit.

Here is the current state of the build.

2A9AFF55-4296-4A9F-91B2-3DD05CEF5313.jpeg
You could use 3 or 4 hinges instead of just 2. 40 pounds seems heavy. Perhaps use a different material for the doors like FRP.

OP
OP
tgbaby

tgbaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running into another issue. The front panel will have decorative slat attached to match the wall. With that added, the panel with be too thick to open upward.
356C33E9-370C-4ECB-B3F1-F4D9E038F1D5.jpeg

6940E8B8-48C3-4E62-882E-DBEE09DAC445.jpeg

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you chamfer the top edges of the slats on the hinged door to allow for hinge clearance, or will this negatively affect the look too much to be acceptable?
(Similar to over the door into the fish room)

OP
OP
tgbaby

tgbaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you chamfer the top edges of the slats on the hinged door to allow for hinge clearance, or will this negatively affect the look too much to be acceptable?
(Similar to over the door into the fish room)

Good idea, but I think it would go against the look. I believe the slats for the door will be cut at the opposite angle for a seamless look (as much as possible). Looking at multiple joint hinges, need something that pushes the door out then upward.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if there is any hinge that will do what you want, but go take a look at Lee Valley Veritas, they have pretty much every hinge imaginable. Another place for crazy hinges is McMaster Carr.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cannot find a double hinge that is a perfect solution, you could also use typical hinges that are mounted between the top of the door and the bottom of the opening with the hinge axis close to the outside of the slats. You might be able to get geometry to work to keep the hinges hidden behind the slats by notching the slats at the hinge and leaving only 1/8" of the slat covering over the hinge surface. You would have to watch clearance dimensions and may still need a small chamfer on the top slats if you want to keep the hinges completely hidden. Otherwise, you could shift the hinge axis clear through the slat and slightly past to allow complete clearance without chamfers (but hinges will be visible).
1608220480274.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back