Inexpensive/simple RO/DI system?

dejaknu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been buying water from my LFS for my nano but with covid reduced hours, it's been harder to get there. It's also a pain to go back and forth when I have big water changes to do.

Does anyone have recommendations for an RO/DI system?

Criteria:
-doesn't need high capacity
-simple installation & removal
-worth the cost trade-off for a 13.5 gallon tank over a few years (I might move in 2-4 years and might not be able to bring it)

Thanks!

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used many that are great, currently I am utilizing the BRS one and it is great.

OP
OP
D

dejaknu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used many that are great, currently I am utilizing the BRS one and it is great.
Thanks, that looks good. I'm in Canada though so would get hit by the 18% fee to ship it here. I'll see if the math makes sense.

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying a RODI system is not really about the cost Of buying it. They are fairly inexpensive. I’ve seen standard 4 stage systems online for as little as $200... It’s replacing the filters that is expense, because that cost never goes away.

The simple answer is this... it’s cheaper to make your own water than to buy... the up front costs can suck a little

OP
OP
D

dejaknu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water are you using? I think for a 13.5g and a 2-3 year window, it would have to be about convenience, not cost. You could probably buy adequate water in the grocery store.
I'm doing about 3 gallons every two weeks usually but right now I'm dealing with an issue that's required me to do 50% water changes a few times this week. Grocery store isn't very convenient because, while I have a car and have been using it to go to the LFS, I usually just walk to the grocery store. LFS is $1/gallon and a 20 minute drive if I can go at low traffic hours. Still only get 5 gallons at a time because I don't have a lot of storage space.

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing about 3 gallons every two weeks usually but right now I'm dealing with an issue that's required me to do 50% water changes a few times this week. Grocery store isn't very convenient because, while I have a car and have been using it to go to the LFS, I usually just walk to the grocery store. LFS is $1/gallon and a 20 minute drive if I can go at low traffic hours. Still only get 5 gallons at a time because I don't have a lot of storage space.
Now the accountant is coming out in me.. do you own your home or do you rent? are you planning on moving in the near future? ...don’t answer those questions here...

RODI systems are kinna permanent. Sort of... if you are a good DIY guy, then Id say do it, unless you plan on moving in the near future. I had to hire a plumber to install mine... I’m not that guy... there are some simple plumbing “things” you can get to supply water to it in a laundry room... you still need gear to store water in... not expensive. A pump, some hose and most importantly some king of TDS meter tool.

Do the math... convenience + lower cost of continual supply + space It takes to store it + pluse set-up cost vs ...what you are doing

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this one a few months ago.

Set up is pretty straight forward, even comes with a rack to mount on a wall. Plus a handy faucet and storage tank. Fits neatly under my sink.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of getting this one once I move and my parents keep the old Barracuda one; it seems cheap and I’m not planning on using much RODI water, it’s mostly going to go into a 10 gallon show tank:
Aquatic Life RO Buddie Reverse Osmosis Systems

WilliamBowman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had purchase the Aquatic Life RO Buddie Four Stage kit to make RODI water for my saltwater aquarium. This is a perfect unit for people with small spaces, small budget or patience since the output is a little slow. This unit does not need to be permanently plumbed in. Aquatic life recommends that the filters be stored away if not in use for more than two weeks so mine sits neatly tucked away and is easily accessible when I need to make RODI water once a week

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, it's not hard to move an rodi.
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals used to sell a standalone di tube that was great for situations like this, maybe there's still ademin only Option out there. More expensive long term, but could be a bridge
Do you think you'll be doing 50% changes much longer? Maybe there's a better option for whatever you are fighting if it takes more than 2 or 3 changes

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, several of the above systems posted are RO only drinking systems. So if you buy one you still need to add a DI cartridge to it. Easy enough to do just keep it in mind, you would have to T off the output line before the pressure tank.

I was going to suggest picking up a RO system and then add the DI section. If you need to order it from the states it would be far less expensive. I’m sure there is a source up north for DI resin.

RO DI systems are very easy to build on your too. As long as you understand the science a little and the routing the water needs to take.

Here is a good article on how these work.

OP
OP
D

dejaknu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone! Great insights and suggestions here. It looks like RO Buddie 4 stage would be my best bet but the only one I'm seeing in Canada has a big shipping fee. I'll keep looking & might just have to suck up the price.

OP, several of the above systems posted are RO only drinking systems. So if you buy one you still need to add a DI cartridge to it. Easy enough to do just keep it in mind, you would have to T off the output line before the pressure tank.

I was going to suggest picking up a RO system and then add the DI section. If you need to order it from the states it would be far less expensive. I’m sure there is a source up north for DI resin.

RO DI systems are very easy to build on your too. As long as you understand the science a little and the routing the water needs to take.

Here is a good article on how these work.

The idea to make my own is very interesting as well. It seems like the systems are basically just cartridges & pipes, which shouldn't be too hard but idk about managing water pressure. That's another thing I'll look into. Thanks for the suggestion!

Fwiw, it's not hard to move an rodi.
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals used to sell a standalone di tube that was great for situations like this, maybe there's still ademin only Option out there. More expensive long term, but could be a bridge
Do you think you'll be doing 50% changes much longer? Maybe there's a better option for whatever you are fighting if it takes more than 2 or 3 changes

No longer as my UV sterilizer just arrived today! I've been battling what looks like phytoplankton but it didn't respond to a blackout. So, I've been worried about it being something else, like bacteria. I did just get a cat and the litter box wasn't far away when it started. Anyway, the big water changes are done for now but I can see other 'tank emergencies' happening in the future so the ability to manage at home would be helpful.

helijamal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
D

dejaknu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep, Reef Supplies is a good store but they don't carry the buddie or a comparable unit.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 135 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back