inferior captive-bred Gold Stripe Maroon

jeffyang

clownparrot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking for the good quality captive-bred gold stripe maroon for a while.
I haven't seen or received any good ones so far. All of them have either pinched head or underbite.

It seems to be more common for captive-bred maroon having lower quality than other captive-bred clownfish.

Does anyone know any good source?

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to keep an eye on Divers Den, I have seen a few in there recently.

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took me forever to find this pair I experienced the exact same thing. Just went through a hellacious pairing process, not only finding a good looking fish is difficult, but try finding fish that like eachother! Good luck!

41BB6065-730E-47FE-A986-C997451284A1.png

8BEF657B-FDBC-4730-BCA6-AB96D94E4B4C.png

OP
OP
J

jeffyang

clownparrot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took me forever to find this pair I experienced the exact same thing. Just went through a hellacious pairing process, not only finding a good looking fish is difficult, but try finding fish that like eachother! Good luck!

WOW! Really nice. Where did you get them?

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! Really nice. Where did you get them?
I got lucky searching Craigslist for the female, I just looked for guys selling their tanks and looked at their inhabitants lists! I got lucky to score the female that way! She’s awesome both fish have perfect gold bars no imperfections like I was finding with the ORA captive breeding.

Finding the male was an absolute nightmare ( I’ll elaborate)from shipping related instances trying to fly a male in from Cali, that didn’t work out at all fedex forgot to overnight me the fish which left it sitting in a box for 15 hrs...:mad:
luckily the sender got the fish back alive.

That was attempt 2 for a male attempt 1 failed miserably as the female rejected that male and has do give him back to my LFS that I drove all the way across Colorado to locate.

And I got lucky with attemp 3 by just poppin into my LFS they got a shipment from Sumatra and there just so happened to be a GB There!

Long story short even these two almost killed eachother that’s why you see them finally in a breeding box. They kicked the crap out of eachother and I’m healing them right now from all the torn fins.

Such a process it’s been but they are truly prefect as far as GB maroons go ;)

0F0DFF02-EF16-458A-8418-6CEEC0F5E0FB.png

781CD29D-7780-472E-81C8-A2D4E8AE083F.jpeg

F37A4042-2FB7-4D40-B89B-9AC59F069F11.jpeg

1035CB37-A4DD-4161-B812-95208E214B57.jpeg

Last edited:

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t be alarmed by the torn fins they love eachother now just reinforcing the pair and keeping them in QT to heal up!

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like wild caught maroons. Beautiful! Ive noticed that the more "designer" the clowns are, the more deformed the captive bred ones are. This is likely bc breeders are focusing on crazy patterns and not the overall conformation of the fish. Look at cb skunk clowns,.fish that dont have picasso stripes. For the most part, they look ok.

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
must be quite a torrid love affair . Those fins are pretty beat up .

Oh yeah I thought it was a failed attempt, but they are spinning now and not tearing fins it’s been 5 days now. I was pretty alarmed when I came home and thought I was going to have to intervene treating with kana and metro as we speak both eating strong and sleeping side by side. This hobby can be brutal at times.

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like wild caught maroons. Beautiful! Ive noticed that the more "designer" the clowns are, the more deformed the captive bred ones are. This is likely bc breeders are focusing on crazy patterns and not the overall conformation of the fish. Look at cb skunk clowns,.fish that dont have picasso stripes. For the most part, they look ok.
Just looked at CB skunks those look pretty good! They have messed up the perc and occ bad IMHO.
Half the fish I see for sale should have been culled.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like any animal really there are good and bad breeders out there, sometimes it takes a search.
I probably searched like 8 mo before I finally got my clowns because I was so picky about shape and lack of deformities more than pattern, I just got lucky and got good patterns too.
I know Vossen has quality clowns, not sure if they have maroons, but they are a good breeder choice, and I follow a fb page called clown fish marketplace that has some decent breeders usually.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah I thought it was a failed attempt, but they are spinning now and not tearing fins it’s been 5 days now. I was pretty alarmed when I came home and thought I was going to have to intervene treating with kana and metro as we speak both eating strong and sleeping side by side. This hobby can be brutal at times.

Maroons always seem more aggressive pairing, glad worked out for you

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back