Maroon clown tankmates?

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of maroon clowns (took me almost 3 months to get them to pair!) that are currently in a 25g tank with a couple of BTA.

We just purchased them an upgraded tank so hopefully soon they will be moving into a 50g innovative marine lagoon. Still a lot of work before the tank is up and running though.

I'm just wondering if there is a chance of adding them some tankmates in the 50g? I know there is a good chance they'll probably kill any other fish, but what about inverts, etc?

They are both still very small, haven't even started showing any gold color yet. Both captive bred. My female (Swim Shady) is a gold nugget and my male (Maroon 5) is a goldxlightningcross.

20231031_153158.jpg
20231020_204104.jpg
20231017_154912.jpg
20231017_154909.jpg
20231013_163247.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a watchman goby paired with pistol.
Clown gobies would be another great fish.

KarlSharx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be in the minority, but my maroon (also a gold nugget) is totally fine with my 5 other fish in my 24g. I think you'd probably be fine unless you know for sure they're extra aggressive. As long as no one floats too close to his anemone all is well, and even then he just kinda shakes his caudal fin at the offending fish.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of maroon clowns (took me almost 3 months to get them to pair!) that are currently in a 25g tank with a couple of BTA.

We just purchased them an upgraded tank so hopefully soon they will be moving into a 50g innovative marine lagoon. Still a lot of work before the tank is up and running though.

I'm just wondering if there is a chance of adding them some tankmates in the 50g? I know there is a good chance they'll probably kill any other fish, but what about inverts, etc?

They are both still very small, haven't even started showing any gold color yet. Both captive bred. My female (Swim Shady) is a gold nugget and my male (Maroon 5) is a goldxlightningcross.

20231031_153158.jpg
20231020_204104.jpg
20231017_154912.jpg
20231017_154909.jpg
20231013_163247.jpg
My maroon pair is in a 70 gallon with 3 chromis, two random damsels and a watchmen goby currently. There was also a butterfly and engineer goby before I moved them to my bigger tank. None of the damsels have issues with each other, but Scarlet, my female, is the biggest fish in the tank at 3 or 4 inches and they know shes boss and wont go near her spot

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be in the minority, but my maroon (also a gold nugget) is totally fine with my 5 other fish in my 24g. I think you'd probably be fine unless you know for sure they're extra aggressive. As long as no one floats too close to his anemone all is well, and even then he just kinda shakes his caudal fin at the offending fish.
My maroon pair is in a 70 gallon with 3 chromis, two random damsels and a watchmen goby currently. There was also a butterfly and engineer goby before I moved them to my bigger tank. None of the damsels have issues with each other, but Scarlet, my female, is the biggest fish in the tank at 3 or 4 inches and they know shes boss and wont go near her spot
These ans yours are still small. Maroons will get 6-8 inches.
The bigger the more aggressive. I had mine take out a coral beauty and two chromis in a 90g. She was always chasing fish away. Before she became egg bound she was getting more territorial. Even worse if they start laying eggs.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger the more aggressive. I had mine take out a coral beauty and two chromis in a 90g. She was always chasing fish away. Before she became egg bound she was getting more territorial. Even worse if they start laying eggs.
I agree, the bigger mine get the more territorial they are. Mine are in a 70

KarlSharx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a valid point. I do intend to upgrade to a 100+ gallon in the next year or two so I'm hoping everyone stays peaceful until then

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My maroon pair have been model citizens actually. Both were just plain old captive bred maroons with a couple bta's. My female is larger than I realized clowns would get, easily 4". Meal for one in an apocalypse.
She will fight back but never the aggressor. I've had them with chromis, firefish, gramma, tangs, dwarf angels, butterflies (copperband and yellow longnose) blennies, damsels. She has bitten me though. The gramma I have shared a 55 with her for several years and they got along great.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back