Info/help with water and new fish!

  • Thread starter Thread starter 77pm77
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

77pm77

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 21, 2012
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
Location
Moscow TN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have two questions. First is nitrates, I always seem to have a small amount that I just cant to get rid of. Even after a water change. My tank is a 30gal reef with 6gals in the sump and its been up and running now for 6 weeks. I have 3 fish 20 hermits and 9 snails also 1 shrimp. Everything looks ok so is this a problem and should it worry me.
The second question is about my Hi-fin cardinal. He only eats Copepods, At least I think thats what they are. They are very small like a speck of small sand and they look white. I have a good supply of them and they are all over the bottom of the glass near the crushed coral. Will he ever eat what the others eat? I have frozen brine, mysis shrimp and marine cuisine. He will just watch it drift by. I have even added garlic extreme with no luck. Will my cardinal make it for long? He is a great fish so I hope so.. THX
 
Your water will always have some level of nitrate. That is where it is supposed to be. try to keep it under 5mg/l.

I am usure about the fish but I think they will eat frozen food. Just keep presenting it to the fish and hopefully in time it will start eating it.

Those probably are copapods that you are seeing on the glass.
 
A small amount of nitrates is fine and very normal. Just go easy on feeding as your tank matures and don't stock too fast. As for the fish I'm not too familiar with that one, maybe post about it in the fish forum, you might get someone's attention easier there. Good luck
 
as stated a small amount of nitrates is normal your fish may eventually eat frozen thaw if you keep presenting it
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new