"Inherited" tank, in poor condition to start with

linda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello :)

Last December I was given a 20 gallon saltwater aquarium in bad-looking condition (I'm a newbie, maybe it only looked bad to me... but the water was tea brown, light fixture broken, etc). It has 25 lbs of live rock. It has black sand (I was told it was "live sand" but I have no idea). It also has a submerged power head, heater, thermometer, seaclone protein skimmer, and a completely empty backpack filter (I just have that one put away in the cabinet).

The first thing I did was some water changes over the course of the first few weeks. That helped the water not be so brown. I also went out and bought a Coralife light fixture with two bulbs (10,000k and actinic blue). The man at the fish store where I bought the light told me to wait a few months to do anything to the tank to let it cycle. It's been just over 4 months. I have a salinity tester and have made sure that it stays within the marked area. I only add distilled water when evaporation occurs. I take a water sample to petco weekly for testing (they are right around the corner from my house and they test for free). They tell me the water is ok, ph is just slightly off but hardly so.

The fish have managed to survive (except for the green chromis, that one died). Currently there is an ocellaris clown fish and a red firefish.

Compared to how it was when I first got it, it looks 10x better. But I need some direction. My main concerns at this point are my cleaning crew and water clarity.

Cleaning Crew:
There is a lot of algae. Brown and maroon colored. Some stringy looking. I went to the local fish store a few days ago and they sold me 1 turbo snail, 2 margarita snails, and 6 red legged hermit crabs. After I came home, I read that the margarita snails might climb out of the tank because they don't like warm water. But they've stayed in there so far. They are already making a dent in the algae, a couple of the live rocks look a lot cleaner. Is this a good cleaning crew for my size tank and amount of live rock?

Water Clarity:
I'd like to get the water more clear. I had not been using the seaclone protein skimmer because every time I turned it on, it flooded the tank with bubbles (making it difficult to even see into the tank). The first time I turned it on last December I was so desperate to clean up the water that I left it on for a couple of hours. The clown fish swam funny for about a day or so afterwards (with his head up, I thought he was a goner but he survived, I have no idea if it was even really related to all the bubbles but I was afraid that it was), so I didn't turn it on again after that. This last Friday, I discovered a tube on the protein skimmer that if I turn the top of the tube there are no bubbles coming into the tank. So I've had that turned back on now for a couple of days. I've noticed a very slight improvement in the water (the surface of the water is noticeably cleaner) but there is nothing in the top of the protein skimmer (I thought bubbly water was supposed to collect in the top?). It just is sucking water in, putting it through a cyclone looking thing and sending it back into the tank. I'm not sure if I have this working correctly. Is the live rock and seaclone protein skimmer enough filtration for this tank? While I am happy overall with the improvement in water clarity since December, I feel like there still could be a some improvement in water clarity. It still seems slightly off. How often should I be doing a water change and how much of the water should I change? Will this help with the water clarity?

Eventually I would like to add a couple more fish (perhaps another green chromis and a mandarin dragonet) and some small coral but I'd like to make sure the tank is truly ready first before I do any of that (I also realize the dragonet has different dietary needs that I need to learn about first, as well as the care and feeding of coral). Any advice is greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks so much,
Linda

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean up crew sounds great. Just keep an eye on the margarita snails as if they fall over they may not be able to right themselves.
Unfortunately I have never had that type of skimmer so I can't help you there. My first thought is something is wrong with the skimmer, but it could be it needs to be tuned in. Someone hopefully will be along later to help with that. But the rock is indeed doing the filtering for you, with the help of the water changes. The skimmer working would be a bonus. You do not need filtration beyond that (at least as of now)
I would suggest doing weekly water changes, 15%. Yes water changes can help with water clarity.
Keep researching. Get that skimmer up and running and you should be good to go to get another fish or 2. Mandarins/dragonets are tricky but not impossible. Just do the research and you should be fine.
And welcome to R2R!

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For coral start out with somr softies considering some of those can be pretty hardy(and cheap in case anything did die!:))
Sounds like you are heading in the right direction and not being impatient and jumping into anything.
As for your skimmer it sounds like you have turned your air.intake off. That cyclone in the skimmer you are seeing should have air mixing in with it, which is what should make the foam. Hang on back skimmers are notorious for air bubble in display but you definitley need it skimming properly. So if you can undo whater you did to make the air bubbles stop, the airline can also get clogged ovrr time so you may need to take skimmer apart to clean the air tube/line.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!

We appreciate your membership!

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like going in the right direction!! I wouldn't stress to much over ph levels and would recommend getting some test kits. DKH, calcium and magnesium are the big 3 to test

Sent from my iPhone by spaceships!

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to get a hob filter where you can run carbon and maybe some phosphate reducing media thru it. No pads just media. Carbon will help make the water clear. Also get the skimmer working or replace it. Remora is a great hob option and is easy to set up and does a awesome job.

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a better skimmer. Also if you can get a lawnmowwer blenny, they will help alot with the algea! a few more snails cant hurt untill you get it cleaned up!

Welcome to R2R!

thrasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the remora - I had a Hang On Back skimmer of theirs on my old tank - worked well. I'd rethink wanting a dragonet they are tricky and and in a small tank you may not have the copepods and amphipods living in your live rock to keep it alive ( they rarely accept prepared food)

OP
OP
L

linda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the great advice! It is much appreciated. Here is what I did:

Protein Skimmer and Filtration System
I took my existing skimmer to the LFS and the man there showed me how to adjust it so that it will create foam in the collector cup. There are some bubbles in the tank now, but not too bad. I noticed that the bubbles are now coming from the motor part (right next to the suction cups). Is there any way to fix that or do I need to replace it? It appears to be coming from where the side comes off to access the spinning wheel. It's not too bothersome, but I'd like it to not cause bubbles if possible.

I purchased an Aqueon QuietFlow 30 filter. It has a carbon filter in it. It has a 200 gallon per hour flow rate. It's pretty exciting to think that all the water in my tank is being filtered 10 times an hour.

I looked into the remora and will have to wait on that. It has great ratings. I need to work it into the budget and research more on pricing. Eventually I'd like to get a bigger tank and turn this 20 gallon into a sump for it, so I'd like to buy one that will work for the tank size I want in the future too. Would it be okay to have a higher capacity one on my little tank?

Water change
I took in a water sample to the LFS and it turned out my salinity was very high (in spite of my hydrometer saying it was okay). I guess the Instant Ocean hydrometers are not very accurate (?). He recommended replacing 4 gallons of my saltwater with fresh water to bring it to the right salinity. After I did that I had him retest my water (because my hydrometer was then saying it was too low). His tester said it was good, so he filled up my hydrometer and marked it with a magic marker so I can know what the good level is (I'll probably buy a better hydrometer, but this works for now).

Water tests
When he tested my water he said everything looked ok, ph slighty low still. His test kit was better than the strips they use at petco. He showed me how to use the test kit and I purchased a test kit to use at home now. My tank came with a cabinet full of kent chemicals (I haven't used them because I wasn't sure about them). The LFS man said that I can use the Pro Buffer dkh and it will fix the ph.

Copepods
I poured a bottle of copepods into the tank. In speaking to the LFS man it sounds like I will need to do it a couple more times to get the tank going. I was worried that they will just get sucked into the carbon filter, but he sad that they will probably breed in there and not to worry about it.

It's been almost 24 hours since making the changes, and I do see a slight difference in water quality. I'm very optimistic that things will quickly improve.

Thanks again everyone! :)

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change
I took in a water sample to the LFS and it turned out my salinity was very high (in spite of my hydrometer saying it was okay). I guess the Instant Ocean hydrometers are not very accurate (?). He recommended replacing 4 gallons of my saltwater with fresh water to bring it to the right salinity. After I did that I had him retest my water (because my hydrometer was then saying it was too low). His tester said it was good, so he filled up my hydrometer and marked it with a magic marker so I can know what the good level is (I'll probably buy a better hydrometer, but this works for now).

Buy a refractometer and ditch the hydrometer when you can. I know it can seem a bit pricey, but it is MUCH more accurate. It does sound like you have a very nice LFS =)
Water tests
When he tested my water he said everything looked ok, ph slighty low still. His test kit was better than the strips they use at petco. He showed me how to use the test kit and I purchased a test kit to use at home now. My tank came with a cabinet full of kent chemicals (I haven't used them because I wasn't sure about them). The LFS man said that I can use the Pro Buffer dkh and it will fix the ph.

How low is low? You were right to be weary about using things you aren't testing for, keep that in mind with the buffer as well.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dkh supper buffer will not fix ph. Ditch the ph test lot and get a dKH test kit. If you dose the supper buffer trying to raise your ph, you will raise your dKH through the roof! Trust me I did this when i started out! My dKH got up to 18 before someone got me straightened out!

DKH should be 7-12 but keepin it at a constant level is best. I use the supper buffer on my 90gal by adding to the top off water. Again loose the ph test kit and get a dKH test kit!

Sent from my iPhone by spaceships!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back