View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there

I am new to the marine tank and would like some advice

How long do I keep each light on
How do you keep algae from growing

Any other good tips would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of lighting is it? T5, LED, Metal halide or Power Compacts? Typcially 8-10 hours a day, but a lot of people have different types of lighting that is timed to go on during differnt parts of the photoperiod.
To try to discourage algae growth, good bulbs, RO water are your source, do not over feed, keep phosphate and nitrate levels low.
For more specific guidence you should include tank size, what the tank is housing, current water chemistry, what your water source is and filtration methods currently running on the tank.

DerekFF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sound so unaware of the basics that I would suggest you do some research on your own here on the forums before asking for info on 100% of the hobby. There are tons of posts on each of the questions you asked as well as anything else you may need. Use the search tool! Not trying to be mean, it's just what a responsible person needs to do in this hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

OP
OP
L

LeighWhitling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of lighting is it? T5, LED, Metal halide or Power Compacts? Typcially 8-10 hours a day, but a lot of people have different types of lighting that is timed to go on during differnt parts of the photoperiod.
To try to discourage algae growth, good bulbs, RO water are your source, do not over feed, keep phosphate and nitrate levels low.
For more specific guidence you should include tank size, what the tank is housing, current water chemistry, what your water source is and filtration methods currently running on the tank.

It's a 90l kent marine tank that has a skimmer, heater and filter. The lights have 3 different stages... Bright, dim and blue (I think the blue is mood light)

OP
OP
L

LeighWhitling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sound so unaware of the basics that I would suggest you do some research on your own here on the forums before asking for info on 100% of the hobby. There are tons of posts on each of the questions you asked as well as anything else you may need. Use the search tool! Not trying to be mean, it's just what a responsible person needs to do in this hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thank you for stating the obvious.. I shall have a search but this post is for the beginners, right?

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my lights on 8 hours a day and my moon lights are on the rest of the time..

Algae can be controlled by less feeding or less lights or a number of other ways need to research it and see what would work best for you.

Looks like she the tank was inherited everything was kind of toss your way.

Do you have an algae issue now?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a manufacturers lable on the fixture? Big long tubes?
Does the tank currently house fish or corals or other inverts?
If able post up a picture of the fixture and tank and maybe we can be more specific.

OP
OP
L

LeighWhitling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a manufacturers lable on the fixture? Big long tubes?
Does the tank currently house fish or corals or other inverts?
If able post up a picture of the fixture and tank and maybe we can be more specific.

It's a kent marine bio-reef 94l with 1 x 36w daylight plus lamp and 1 x 36w daylight blue

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that is what we call an AIO (all in one) tank system, with power compacts and couple LEDs for night viewing. With the PC lighting 8-10 hour is fine, change the bulbs out every 6-9 months. In the back chambers you can pull out any bio-balls if need be so detritus does not end up collection there. Any decent carbon like Chemipure Elite will work, as will Purigen. Mechanical filtration could be sponge which I perfer or floss. You will probably need to top off daily with fresh water, RO or distilled is fine. Many people add supplemental power heads to the display portion of the tank which assist in providing more flow and promotes gas exchange.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 44 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back