Initial set up this weekend, thank you forums for the help

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I’ve been debating starting a reef tank for the last few months. I’ve been casually lurking this site for about the same time. A few days ago I decided to commit because of this site and will be doing my initial set up this weekend.

Doing a 36 gal bowfront long. Planning on taking it nice and easy, I’m in no rush to have a fully stocked tank. I just want it to be a chill habitat that I can watch grow.

Only thing I worry about is if I purchased everything necessary. I didn’t get the best in every class of equipment but believe I got everything I need to start thanks to this site.

Hopefully I won’t be bothering you all too much when things get hectic.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Wtr2r6.gif

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to start a build thread. Need that badge! :D

Don't worry about equipment. A lot of my equipment I bought secondhand. The old skimmers work just as well as most of the new ones. Now I've just been upgrading certain things as they age and need to be replaced. I recommend checking out a lot of the DFW Facebook groups for used gear. You can get a lot of good stuff for really cheap.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Will you be making a build thread? You can start one under the “member tanks” forum:D

Shoot, if you want to watch the progress of my brilliantly mediocre tank, I’d be happy to document it. Maybe it will teach those after me how not to raise a tank .

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to start a build thread. Need that badge! :D

Don't worry about equipment. A lot of my equipment I bought secondhand. The old skimmers work just as well as most of the new ones. Now I've just been upgrading certain things as they age and need to be replaced. I recommend checking out a lot of the DFW Facebook groups for used gear. You can get a lot of good stuff for really cheap.

I’ll be sure to do that. I was timid to start with used after perusing Craigslist. I thought it would be best to go with basic yet new tried and true pieces.

I just plan to upgrade on an as need basis. I.e.- When I plan on purchasing my first few initial corals so I’ll upgrade my current orbit marine led to an AP700 or something.

I’m pretty nervous, not going to lie. I have this feeling that my seams will just burst or my beagle will push my tank over.

Par for the course I suppose! Super amped however. I’ve always loved growing things, been making bonsai trees for over a decade. This seems like an exhilarating new avenue for that hobby.

I appreciate all of the kind words and motivation!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R and congratulations on jumping in! We're glad you're here and look forward to your questions!

jaxredsoxfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, glad to have you here. It is perfectly fine to start slow and add as you need. There are many successful tanks that use very minimal equipment, so don't be worried. Just go slow and we are here if you have questions! Good luck, and looking forward to seeing it come together.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 29.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back