initial setup

DS5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, first time reefer here. I am getting ready to start setting up my redsea 170 max 45gal. I have been researching and learning as much as I can about the hobby and all the things that go into it -this site has been a great resource, and its great to see all the active discussions!

I have a many questions but just a few:

1. going to buy a RODI - i was looking at 4 stage BRS, barracude, and aqualife - seems ppl like these three for the most part. For my 45 gal, is 75gpd sufficient, or would 100gpd be better - is my thinking that 100gpd would be faster outpt of water - or would there be any decrease in quality?

2. My tank will be near the kitchen, so I am setting up the RODI under my kitchen sink - any tips for kitchen sink setup, seems straight forward.

3. saltwater creation and storage: was going to buy a large ~45gal tote to make the saltwater, and was thinking of then buying some sort of 5gal storage containers for saltwater and RODI water, for water changes, top off etc. What kind of storage container is recommended? Is it okay for the stored RODI water and saltwater to sit in the garage - ie between changes, etc?
Also, what kind of submersible pump/tubing can I use in the large tote container to transfer water to tank and storage containers?

4. last question - quarantine tank - can I just use a bucket container to temporary hold my fish? and if so, what other equipment should i use in the quarantine tank?

Many more questions to come, but I appreciate the input on these initial few!

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! You have come to the right place!
giphy.gif

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. 75 gallon rodi will be just fine

2.Never installed under cabinet sorry can’t help there.

3. I use a brute container for ato water and I simply just mix my saltwater in 5 gallon buckets the night before.

4. I’ve heard of many people using containers but you can simply purchase a small qt threw Petco with there $1 per gallon sale they have. Use a powerhead, hob filter, heater, cheap led and just some decoration for fish to hide around.

OP
OP
D

DS5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx WiReefer,

what size brute container?
do you mix your saltwater in one large container, and then transfer to the 5gal buckets?

the petco small qt - is that a bucket you use to put the fish in, or saltwater container? what is an 'hob'
thx

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx WiReefer,

what size brute container?
do you mix your saltwater in one large container, and then transfer to the 5gal buckets?

the petco small qt - is that a bucket you use to put the fish in, or saltwater container? what is an 'hob'
thx
I think I have a 35 and 45 I can remember off hand. Nope I just keep freshwater in the brute container and then pump 5 gallons into the bucket and mix my salt once water is in bucket with a pump. Sorry should have been more clear, the qt tank is an actual tank I have a 20 gallon long tank for my qt it was $20. And hob is hang on the back filter.

OP
OP
D

DS5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
last ones:

what pump do u use to transfer to the 5 gal?
Would it be an issue to keep the freshwater and saltwater stored for wks?

Thx!

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
last ones:

what pump do u use to transfer to the 5 gal?
Would it be an issue to keep the freshwater and saltwater stored for wks?

Thx!
I just use small pumps found at menards for pumping water into buckets. Any pump will work.

This video should help

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back