Injured fish?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cam4ou
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

cam4ou

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 29, 2020
Messages
6
Reaction score
2
Location
tulsa
What state or country do you live in
Oklahoma
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red leopard sailfin Blenny. He’s about 4 inches long and I’ve had him for around a month. Two nights ago, I noticed that a section of scales on his right dorsum side was missing. When I woke up today, the injury looks deeper, wider, and is now over the top and onto the left side. Other tank occupants are three clowns and a damsel (little bittie guy who has never been aggressive) and some medium sized hermit crabs. What could be causing this? Could the hermit have done it?

IMG_4004.jpeg IMG_4003.jpeg
 
What size is the tank? Do you have a lot of rockwork?
 
50 gallon tank. Not a ton of rock. And he’s lived in there for over a month without scraping himself. I feel like since it happened one night and got worse in the same spot the next night, it’s likely not because of the rock.
 
50 gallon tank. Not a ton of rock. And he’s lived in there for over a month without scraping himself. I feel like since it happened one night and got worse in the same spot the next night, it’s likely not because of the rock.
In the pictures, its eyes look foggy - are they like that in person?
How long have you had this fish?
 
Eyes are clear. I’ve had him for about a month with no difficulties
Thanks, I just wanted to rule out flukes here. I agree this looks like it is some sort of injury. However, blennies evolved to live in rocks, so this wasn’t self inflicted. It is also in an unusual spot for tankmate aggression. That leaves the possibility of a primary bacterial infection. It getting worse also supports that idea.

Treating this isn’t going to be easy - I’d suggest moving the fish to a small hospital tank and treating with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex.
 
Thanks, I just wanted to rule out flukes here. I agree this looks like it is some sort of injury. However, blennies evolved to live in rocks, so this wasn’t self inflicted. It is also in an unusual spot for tankmate aggression. That leaves the possibility of a primary bacterial infection. It getting worse also supports that idea.

Treating this isn’t going to be easy - I’d suggest moving the fish to a small hospital tank and treating with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex.
I unfortunately don’t live anywhere near where this would be sold and don’t have any on hand. Looks like it’ll be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully he makes it until then
 
I unfortunately don’t live anywhere near where this would be sold and don’t have any on hand. Looks like it’ll be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully he makes it until then
Sorry for what you're going through. These things are always tough. Keep us updated on what's going on and welcome to R2R!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new