Ink Bird Temp Controller

Kurt73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running a Marineland precision 300w heater. I bought a Ink Bird 306 duel temp controller. I have a couple of questions. My tank currently is running 78.4F. So when I hook that heater to the controller and set the controller at 78F do I need to adjust the heater controller at all?

Secondly I'm going to buy a second heater for a back up probably a titanium heater. Should I get the same watts heater or lower watts?

Thank you for the help

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want your tank to stay at a max of 78 then you shouldn’t need to do anything to the heater controller.
As for a second heater most people choose to do two smaller heaters so that if something happens where one sticks on it takes longer to over heat the tank. Since you already have a heater big enough for your tank I would make the second one a little over half the wattage then once you need to replace the bigger one you could put another smaller heater in the tank. Although it’s all just personal preference.

OP
OP
K

Kurt73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so on my main heater do I want the controller to turn on and off the heater or let the heater itself turn on and off?

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running that controller for a few years now. I just made sure my heater's temp dial was at the temp I wanted and then set the controller to my desired temp.

Once the set up is done, the controller monitors the tank's temp and turns the heaters on and off rather than the heater's thermostat doing so. It will keep the heaters from going above the desired temp and ensure the temp doesn't drop beyond your chosen temp also. It does have an audible alarm that comes on if the temp goes beyond your set points.

As for dual heaters, I think the standard is 2 heaters that are each able to keep the tank heated at 75-80% individually. So if one dies the tank will stay heated mostly (close to the desired temp). I think BRS has a video out there about the subject.

Oh, if you got the WiFi model, the "alerts" tied to the app is trash. You can see the temp if you log into the app but the notifications in real time is a joke. At least for me it has been.

I found this on Etsy, the mount is OK but the magnetic wire probe holder is WAY better than the suction cups the unit comes with to hold the probes.

1689363293273.png

OP
OP
K

Kurt73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link on the holder. Then I might raise my main heater temp a little so the controller can control it.

Does the 306 model have the option to set the second heater to different Temps then the main heater?

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want the heater itself set a little higher than the target temperature and then have the controller set at the temperature you want the tank at.

This will make sure the controller is doing the controlling rather than the thermostat in your heater that can wear out and fail.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With some versions of the InkBird app (there are several for some reason) they have an alarm that if the tank doesn’t get to the set max temp within a set amount of time an alarm goes off. If your app has that then you have to allow the InkBird to cycle the heater(s) on and off. If the app you download doesn’t have that then it doesn’t matter wether the InkBird or the controller turn them on/off and which one is the failsafe.

With the 306 (and all inkbirds afaik) both heaters come on and off together, there is no control to have each heater use different temperatures.

OP
OP
K

Kurt73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I'm going to set it up in a few minutes with just the one heater until I get the second one this weekend.

Is it OK to run both temp probes halfway down the tank or should I run it toward the top?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The unit allows for calibration thus, just because you set 78 doesn’t necessarily mean it’s actually heating to that precise number.
I calibrated mine using an average of three separate tests, and the result was -.4 degrees less than zero calibration, to show 78 on the unit.
Both my heaters are set for 80 so the controller puts them on/off and if it failed, the heaters would not go above 80.
Probes and inch or so apart

OP
OP
K

Kurt73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running that controller for a few years now. I just made sure my heater's temp dial was at the temp I wanted and then set the controller to my desired temp.

Once the set up is done, the controller monitors the tank's temp and turns the heaters on and off rather than the heater's thermostat doing so. It will keep the heaters from going above the desired temp and ensure the temp doesn't drop beyond your chosen temp also. It does have an audible alarm that comes on if the temp goes beyond your set points.

As for dual heaters, I think the standard is 2 heaters that are each able to keep the tank heated at 75-80% individually. So if one dies the tank will stay heated mostly (close to the desired temp). I think BRS has a video out there about the subject.

Oh, if you got the WiFi model, the "alerts" tied to the app is trash. You can see the temp if you log into the app but the notifications in real time is a joke. At least for me it has been.

I found this on Etsy, the mount is OK but the magnetic wire probe holder is WAY better than the suction cups the unit comes with to hold the probes.

1689363293273.png
You can order just magnetic probe mount so I'm going to do that.

OP
OP
K

Kurt73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok question. I have everything hooked and running. Everything is working great. App is working. I have the temp set to 77.8F to come on and 78.3F to shut off. So my question is is 0.5F swing in temp ok or should I narrow it down more?

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok question. I have everything hooked and running. Everything is working great. App is working. I have the temp set to 77.8F to come on and 78.3F to shut off. So my question is is 0.5F swing in temp ok or should I narrow it down more?
.5 is fine imo. That small of a variance is negligible.

OP
OP
K

Kurt73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1689363293273.png
I got the magnet temp probe holder and it's definitely worth buying. Very clean looking now without two big suction cups in the tank.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the magnet temp probe holder and it's definitely worth buying. Very clean looking now without two big suction cups in the tank.
Excellent!

Yep, its a solid piece of kit. I went looking when the suction cups that came on my first one stopped holding no matter what I did. I've got 2 of them and they have been trouble free.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back