Unstable temp with inkbird

jnbrex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Ink Bird WiFi heater controller along with the BRS 100W Titanium Heater Element. I measure the temperature with the RedSea ReefATO+ and I can see that it fluctuates significantly during the course of each day and will often exceed the max temp the heater is set to. I’m not talking about the sharp spikes, which were caused by turning the pump off for acclimation, water changes, etc. I’m talking about the long, consistent increases and then decreases. I could understand if it was happening every day and could be explained by heat from the lights, but these big swings aren’t happening every day.

Any ideas why this is happening?

IMG_1084.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the INKBIRD temp chart say which tests every 15 minutes?
Looks normal to me, on and off spikes with an average of 76.6 to 77.0.
What do you think it should be in terms of high, low?

Provided seasons are not changing, mine fluxes a degree during every 24 hours. Very normal.

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
think about how the ocean changes temperatures during tide changes and cross currents. Coral are meant to handle a few degree fluctuations

OP
OP
jnbrex

jnbrex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ink Bird shows temp fluctuates between 77.5 and 78.5. I have it set to min of 77.5 and max of 78.0.

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you're saying, jnbrex. Not sure if you'll be able to troubleshoot this unless you can confirm whether the heater is on or off during the high peaks. Would also be useful if the graph showed time of day (does this happen at the same time of day each time? What else is going on at that time?).

Do the temps on each device match up to each other? Do they do so all the time, even during these peaks?

Are the probes next to each other? If not, it could be some factor that affects the Inkbird probe differently than the RedSea (circulation?) so that during that event the probes are reading different water.

OP
OP
jnbrex

jnbrex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you're saying, jnbrex. Not sure if you'll be able to troubleshoot this unless you can confirm whether the heater is on or off during the high peaks. Would also be useful if the graph showed time of day (does this happen at the same time of day each time? What else is going on at that time?).

Do the temps on each device match up to each other? Do they do so all the time, even during these peaks?

Are the probes next to each other? If not, it could be some factor that affects the Inkbird probe differently than the RedSea (circulation?) so that during that event the probes are reading different water.
The probes are very close to each other. The Ink Bird consistently reads about 2 degrees higher than the ReefATO+, but they always show the same temperature trends.

It does not happen at the same time each day, and does not happen every day.

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that's some factors eliminated. Now to get clear on whether the heater is powered during those peaks. If it is, that's a little worrying. If it isn't, then there's some other factor causing the peaks (room temp fluctuations? Sunlight hits tank? Sweaty dog goes for a swim in the tank?:zany-face:).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back