Inkbird heater controller advanced automation.

Weller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

Sorry if this doesn't belong in controllers but r2r doesn't have an automation board.

I have an inkbird itc-308, I've been ginning around with simple automation with tuya devices such as running my pumps on wifi controllers to automate feeding time and alert my wife it needs doing as I am frequently away.
(Return pump, skimmer and ato off, send notification wait 10 minutes, return pump on, wait 10 minutes skimmer on, wait 10 minutes ato on)

I was looking at the inkbird and realised it is also tuya enabled.
Where I live we have 35°c days and 4°c nights, I'm currently reliant on my aircon to chill the tank, which is fine because my SO is always in the tank room.
I am currently running 4 heaters off the unit, triple redundancy of sorts and just had the idea to stagger the heaters, is this something anyone has thought to do?

I am considering buying a cheep 4 out wifi powerboard and running all 4 heaters to it, my preferred temp is 25°c.
at 24.9°c #1 will turn on
At 24.5°c #2 will turn on
At 24.0°c #3 will turn on
At 23.9°c #4 will turn on and send a notification that one of the heaters may have failed.

I will also be looking into correct points to turn them off.

Has anybody achived something similar?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as heater redundancy, and semi smart notification for failure/power outage,
I have implemented the following idea and practice.

Undersized heaters, i use 3.
3 seperate non wifi ranco controllers controlling each, 1 set @ slightly lower temp incase of lower ambient temps. (The two are set at the same setpoint and work in tandem)

Each heater controller is plugged into its own GFCI pigtail with audible trip alarm (for local alarm purposes)
Each GFCI pigtail comes off of a wifi powerstrip (for remote on/off capabilities) and each gfci has a power monitor alert device plugged in that sends email incase power outage.
(Router needs to be on a battery backup)

Thats about all my brain could come up with without buying and relying on one device to controll it all :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back