Inkbird heater

Mast33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all my inkbird heater alarm keeps going off and saying continuous heating abnormal. I have it set to 16 hrs like all my tanks ans have from day 1. I've had it a year. Could thr probes be bad and I need to change?

OP
OP
M

Mast33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all my inkbird heater alarm keeps going off and saying continuous heating abnormal. I have it set to 16 hrs like all my tanks ans have from day 1. I've had it a year. Could thr probes be bad and I need to change?
No - the Inkbird will automatically alarm if it's in continuous use for a set amount of time. What kind of heaters are you running with it?

300W Titanium Aquarium Heater System - WiFi - Bulk Reef Supply​

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through a similar problem a few months after setting mine up and working out the settings. You've had yours for a year so it may not be quite the same.
I have my 110 gallon set up (in the UK) with 2 x 300w glass Eheim heaters. Initially I had to keep extending the heating time as it would always set off the continuous heating alarm until I was up to about 6 hours, IIRC. This was mid winter with the house heating on and this seemed OK for a while. Roll on a few months and with the house heating off the alarm started going off again. Evidently the 2 heaters were only just coping and once the ambient had dropped a little they were suddenly on continuously again.
My tank is in the kitchen which opens out on to our garden so there is a lot of air moving around, and sometimes it is quite cool.

It's possible that your heater is just about adequate for most of the time but something has changed just enough (heater, probes, ambient temp) that it is now struggling?

I intend to swap to a pair of titanium heaters soon as I was having to run 3 x 300 watt heaters for a while!

OP
OP
M

Mast33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through a similar problem a few months after setting mine up and working out the settings. You've had yours for a year so it may not be quite the same.
I have my 110 gallon set up (in the UK) with 2 x 300w glass Eheim heaters. Initially I had to keep extending the heating time as it would always set off the continuous heating alarm until I was up to about 6 hours, IIRC. This was mid winter with the house heating on and this seemed OK for a while. Roll on a few months and with the house heating off the alarm started going off again. Evidently the 2 heaters were only just coping and once the ambient had dropped a little they were suddenly on continuously again.
My tank is in the kitchen which opens out on to our garden so there is a lot of air moving around, and sometimes it is quite cool.

It's possible that your heater is just about adequate for most of the time but something has changed just enough (heater, probes, ambient temp) that it is now struggling?

I intend to swap to a pair of titanium heaters soon as I was having to run 3 x 300 watt heaters for a while!
We just started the air conditioner up and air flows by tank from another room. So u think 2 heaters or new probes

OP
OP
M

Mast33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just started the air conditioner up and air flows by tank from another room. So u think 2 heaters or new probes
Tank is 45 gallon. Our 150 has 2 of those heaters and is good

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Verify the water temperature and whether the heater has power when it should. This will tell you where the problem is. It appears that the heater you have should be more than enough for any ambient temperature.
Out of interest, what are your T1 and T2 settings?

Back