Inkbird reads higher than thermostat

  • Thread starter Thread starter klr0808
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

klr0808

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 26, 2025
Messages
259
Reaction score
141
Location
raleigh
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the inkbird 306a wifi version, i connected my nicrew 100 watt heater-

Inkbird read 79.2 but nicrews thermostat turned off so I plugged my heater in on its own, kept the inkbird sensors in the tank and Nicrew read 77 then shortly 78 then returned to 99

I have a 20 g lagoon, its cycling and I want a simple failsafe so I dont nuke future fish but want to get this locked in.

Any suggestions? Change heater? Leave heater managing the tank on its own and just use inkbird for alarms?

Thanks friends!!
 
Set the nicrews thermostat just over what you want to run the tank at and then set the inkbird to exactly what you wat to run at. Mind you the thermostat on the heaters or the inkbird might not be perfectly accurate. In the end consistency is most important.
 
The thermostats on the Nicrews are not going to be perfect. The InkBird will be closer, and you can double check with another thermometer like a digital kitchen thermometer or I like the Hanna CheckTemp. The InkBird should keep the temp stable and as long as that’s in the range of about 76-80 degrees F, that’s fine. I shoot for 77-78 F on my tanks.
 
The thermostats on the Nicrews are not going to be perfect. The InkBird will be closer, and you can double check with another thermometer like a digital kitchen thermometer or I like the Hanna CheckTemp. The InkBird should keep the temp stable and as long as that’s in the range of about 76-80 degrees F, that’s fine. I shoot for 77-78 F on my tanks.
Thank you!
 
So if I’m understanding correctly, it’s probably best practice to allow the ink bird to control the thermometer so I should plug it the heater back into the ink bird and depend on it?

I originally had the nicrew thermostat set to 80 which is higher than the inkBird but I’m cycling right now and the tanks going in the right direction at 79 degrees.

Nitrates 5 and nitrite 0 and ammonia still 0.2! Almost there!
 
The thermostats on the Nicrews are not going to be perfect. The InkBird will be closer, and you can double check with another thermometer like a digital kitchen thermometer or I like the Hanna CheckTemp. The InkBird should keep the temp stable and as long as that’s in the range of about 76-80 degrees F, that’s fine. I shoot for 77-78 F on my tanks.
Or just a good ol $5 mercury aquarium thermometer which will be dead on. I use two to calibrate my inkbirds every once in a while.
 
Or just a good ol $5 mercury aquarium thermometer which will be dead on. I use two to calibrate my inkbirds every once in a while.
I get what you're saying, but I would disagree a little. There's really no mercury thermometers any more as there's a health risk in being exposed to mercury if the thermometer breaks, so they are all alcohol based now. And while the level of alcohol would indeed rise and fall in a very predictable way, making them very precise, how accurate they are depends on how the scale or numbers that you read is placed. On the $5 thermometers that hang in the tank, this is often just a piece of cardboard placed inside the glass. If it was placed incorrectly, or if it slips over time, the thermometer would be precise, but not accurate. The same is true for some glass hydrometers.

But, I do agree and think you have the right idea by relying on a tried and true analog device. For this same reason, I recently purchased the Tropic Marin glass hydrometer to double check my refractometers, even though I calibrate them. I would be interested in a glass thermometer for the same reason, but I believe my Hanna CheckTemp to be very much "on", I also have the Hanna Salinity meter that has a thermometer and they are off from each other by a couple tenths of a degree.

The most important thing is stability of the temperature, and as long as it's in the range of about 76-80 degrees F, it's fine 🙂

Thank you for your reply here!
 
I get what you're saying, but I would disagree a little. There's really no mercury thermometers any more as there's a health risk in being exposed to mercury if the thermometer breaks, so they are all alcohol based now. And while the level of alcohol would indeed rise and fall in a very predictable way, making them very precise, how accurate they are depends on how the scale or numbers that you read is placed. On the $5 thermometers that hang in the tank, this is often just a piece of cardboard placed inside the glass. If it was placed incorrectly, or if it slips over time, the thermometer would be precise, but not accurate. The same is true for some glass hydrometers.

But, I do agree and think you have the right idea by relying on a tried and true analog device. For this same reason, I recently purchased the Tropic Marin glass hydrometer to double check my refractometers, even though I calibrate them. I would be interested in a glass thermometer for the same reason, but I believe my Hanna CheckTemp to be very much "on", I also have the Hanna Salinity meter that has a thermometer and they are off from each other by a couple tenths of a degree.

The most important thing is stability of the temperature, and as long as it's in the range of about 76-80 degrees F, it's fine 🙂

Thank you for your reply here!

I use two of the old school glass aquarium thermomters (always read the same temp which is a good sign) and the TM glass hydrometer as well for calibrating. Interestingly enough, my Hanna salinity and temp tester pen is always bang or very close. They have a bad rep, I guess I got lucky.
 
I use two of the old school glass aquarium thermomters (always read the same temp which is a good sign) and the TM glass hydrometer as well for calibrating. Interestingly enough, my Hanna salinity and temp tester pen is always bang or very close. They have a bad rep, I guess I got lucky.
Friend, I am not an expert in anything, but I don't think you got lucky. My understanding is that both Hanna products are near "bang on" for temp. I've liked both of mine. I've checked my Hanna CheckTemp and the Hanna Salinity pen (with temp) using ice water, and both gave reasonable results.
 
Inkbids are tricky the setting for cont heating for instance mine is set for 0 bc alarm went off when I used recommended setting. I suggest 2 50watt 78° preset heaters instead, redundancy is key. You plug only one into the Inkbird. Anyway your lights will create enough to keep your heater off. I have an Aquion 75w for my 100g wc.
Screenshot_20250613_002854_INKBIRD.jpg
Screenshot_20250613_002953_INKBIRD.jpg
 
I’m not sure what you are saying is the issue? You say the heater went to 99? 99f? If so then its the heater that is the issue.
 
I have the inkbird 306a wifi version, i connected my nicrew 100 watt heater-

Inkbird read 79.2 but nicrews thermostat turned off so I plugged my heater in on its own, kept the inkbird sensors in the tank and Nicrew read 77 then shortly 78 then returned to 99

I have a 20 g lagoon, its cycling and I want a simple failsafe so I dont nuke future fish but want to get this locked in.

Any suggestions? Change heater? Leave heater managing the tank on its own and just use inkbird for alarms?

Thanks friends!!
Lol somebody caught my typo. I meant 79.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new