OP
OP
BlingityBling

BlingityBling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build. I really love IM and the 200 EXT will be my next tank. Any chance of seeing a picture of the section behind the drain where you have the Vortechs mounted? That was always a question of mine is if the Vortech fits in that space and it looks like it does and is working for you.
I have four back there... mp40s... pretty easy to access for me as I modified a stand to fit between the tank and the wall giving me 12" of room for maintainence.
The two in the middle are as high as they can go under the overflow and just fit inbetween the drains. No real room to move them unless they go outside under the returns with the other pair. The two under the return lines would have a good deal of room to move around without the stand I used in the way. Pretty happy with their placement and working well, they just aren't getting good flow at the far end of the tank. Thinking of adding a gyre out there with cables run under the eurobracing.

Attachments

• IMG_4480.jpg
    IMG_4480.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4481.jpg
    IMG_4481.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4482.jpg
    IMG_4482.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 56

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have four back there... mp40s... pretty easy to access for me as I modified a stand to fit between the tank and the wall giving me 12" of room for maintainence.
The two in the middle are as high as they can go under the overflow and just fit inbetween the drains. No real room to move them unless they go outside under the returns with the other pair. The two under the return lines would have a good deal of room to move around without the stand I used in the way. Pretty happy with their placement and working well, they just aren't getting good flow at the far end of the tank. Thinking of adding a gyre out there with cables run under the eurobracing.
Thank you!! I will definitely be doing the stand against the wall hiding the plumbing exactly like you have it. Thanks again for the inside view

Evaaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on this thread? Did you end up adding a gyre at the other end? I have this same tank on order and was thinking about running 2 mp60s and 2 mp40s but not sure if that would be enough either.

GGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on this thread? Did you end up adding a gyre at the other end? I have this same tank on order and was thinking about running 2 mp60s and 2 mp40s but not sure if that would be enough either.
I'm running the same tank. I started with 2 MP60's, but they don't get to the end of the tank well enough. I ended up putting in a Jebao MCP-180 gyre on the end, and that did the trick.

OP
OP
BlingityBling

BlingityBling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes... Unfortunately no where near enough flow makes it to the end. Also... the MP40's magnets struggle a bit with 3/4 being the max thickness so I'd either go all gyres, or just MP60's over the 40's. I've added the dual Maxpect XF350 as it was recently closed out at half price on BRS. Rare to see that big a discount and never having had a gyre before it seemed a safe gamble. Was looking at the new cloud version, but the cost difference combined with my Apex controlling it for feed, water changes, power outages, etc... couldn't see spending that extra for features I wouldn't be using anyway. More flow than needed, but at least it can all be dialed back now as opposed to blasting for reach.

If I were to have a mixed reef with softies and lps at the far end, I believe it would have been fine but my favorite corals will be the dominate if not only ones put in it being Montis, Acros, Chalices, and maybe eventually a goni garden. So taking it really slowly now and still playing with the gyres to determine what I like best. They do a fantastic job of keeping the glass clean on that end so a partial sand and partial bare bottom mix is working well so far. Already had a monti attach itsekf to the glass unexpectedly. Afraid to force it to move as I'd hate to break it in a bad way.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back