Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates updates !

Why the whole basement was apart and water main was exposed I ran a clean priority pex line for my RO system.. seems to be giving me ~50 TDS better out of tap.
DOcDQnj.jpg

Late nights are for tank fills !
lFMvcBw.jpg

Skimmer setup.. seems to be filling with water though so fine tuning it
A3Fsv12.jpg

YoBwc2U.jpg

Water parameters started at 2 weeks ago:

Ammonia
HfIok5k.jpg

Nitrite
PgVqhP8.jpg

Nitrate
483pLcJ.jpg

Added a media basket with chemipure blue floss and seachem
TISGMJs.jpg

Got a pump for filling my water changes
XTuyEYb.jpg

Parameters as of last night!

Ammonia
XzfCPKs.jpg

Nitrite zero!
kEPMI0u.jpg

Nitrate coming way down !
DZfRhtF.jpg

Ammonia appears just about zero in person nitrite is a hard zero and nitrate appears 40 in person. The pictures are tough.

I'll probably look at ordering my black & white clowns friday! Thoughts ?

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Major Update!

Giant coral sale on reef2reef by cherry corals!

After I temperature acclimated them
lgEecR8.jpg

Closeup of the utter chaos
8Vx6R7J.jpg

Closeup of the Awesome Aussie Micro
h9Fzd9Q.jpg

Closeup of the small Fruit Loop zoa
FPkmsJg.jpg

IN THE TANK featuring half pint & merwin my clowns!
QW4wFey.jpg

Algae and diatom is starting to grow so I will be getting a gobster & some snails & crabs tonight. Def got scared a bit that it was aiptasia.
bWjVAbO.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update! 5/14/19.

I am on day 4 of bryopsis treatment! I couldn't really get a before picture as the algae was in baby sprouts... I see no more algae blooming or sprouting so it's kicked butt! I will wait till next Friday and run it for 2 weeks. I am debating turning my protein skimmer back online to cycle some gunk out today or tomorrow. Any thoughts?

I lost my first snail today and potentially a hermit crab. I don't know if they got into a fight but the snail was in bad shape to begin I could tell he wasn't doing great but he was moving around a little today when I woke he was in the same spot as last night so I removed him and you could visually and sensory tell he was dead (stunk). My ammonia spiked a little however, none of my corals have closed even the slightest they seem GREAT. I am wondering if the protein skimmer being back on will help out at all??

Either way here is the huge coral update!

I AM AWFUL AT TAKING SHOTS UNDER BLUES OR WHITES - can someone help me get better shooting on a pixel 3.

Sunny D Zoa's! (Look insane under blues)
lwly9i0.jpg

My happy happy Duncan (Looks roughly the same under blues) Should be more blue.. I think
5hrNqP3.jpg

Fruit Loops
nkZcoHx.jpg

Vibranium (LOOKS INSANE UNDER BLUE) need to learn to take better pics
7YOJLTX.jpg

Orange Hornet (Super cool under blue) Gummie Bear & Frutti Tutti
bLX6nqj.jpg

Fallen Angel (seems finicky - doesn't look like picture from live sale just yet... ) That crab is the one that has legs missing.. not sure if he's gonna make it.
ohvFgFh.jpg

Utter Chaos (One of my favorites... getting some new polyps)
dJB1nlA.jpg

Spongebob & Awesome Aussie Micro
Pftmog3.jpg

Cool Caulastrea Coral (I think it might be in too much flow? is that why it's melting?) featuring merwin!
lklJDjN.jpg

This is half pint.. he gets in EVERY photo
I8kawXT.jpg

Let me know what you all think! I realized not pictured is my nirvanna frag. :(

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 5/19/19

My tank is nearing two weeks of reef flux HD treatment... I no longer see a single sign of bryopsis which is wonderful but lack of water changes and purigen and chemipure the uglies broke out full form! ahhh :(

I am wondering when I do my first water change Thursday if siphoning some of it out is okay? Thoughts?

zfrWSSR.jpg

O6c8NqR.jpg

3f5nCn3.jpg

yLwiDDK.jpg

There are like long seaweed like looking pieces sprouting from the diatoms is that normal?

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank setup. Get a law mover Blenny and that sand will be clean in no time. Probably you need to add more CUC.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have
Nice tank setup. Get a law mover Blenny and that sand will be clean in no time. Probably you need to add more CUC.
I have 5 nass snails, 1 turbo, 2 astrea snails, 2 Scarlet's and 1 blue claw any thoughts on improvement ?

I need to get a goby! I want a yellow watchmen shrimp goby but they're hard to find

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have

I have 5 nass snails, 1 turbo, 2 astrea snails, 2 Scarlet's and 1 blue claw any thoughts on improvement ?

I need to get a goby! I want a yellow watchmen shrimp goby but they're hard to find

Great.. I have a yellow watchmen goby with the shrimp but he do nothing to the sand. The shrimp works for him. Now, the lawn mover blenny is a bulldozer with the sand.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great.. I have a yellow watchmen goby with the shrimp but he do nothing to the sand. The shrimp works for him. Now, the lawn mover blenny is a bulldozer with the sand.

I will have to take a look. I don't want the shrimp goby combo as I heard the shrimp decimates CUC and other fish.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to take a look. I don't want the shrimp goby combo as I heard the shrimp decimates CUC and other fish.
Hummm, I have a good CUC for over a year and no one is missing yet.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does your CUC consist of?

Red leg Hermit crabs, Blue legs Hermit Crabs, Emerald Crabs, Mexican turbo snails, few Nassarius Snails, Cerit Snails, Peppermint shrimp, cleaner shrimp.

BC-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the tank! The stand looks great.
I have the same tank, running for a year and a half now. I had a 120g for a decade and then was out of the hobby for a bit. This was a great way to get back into it. I am running the IM media basket with the same three media you have, working well.

Lots of good advice here and the only other item I would mention is flow. Go big! I went with two 660gph wave pumps which where part of the orbit loop system I purchased. They were a disappointment even though the tank was within the recommended size. Recently, I bought a third WaveMaker and went with their 2100gph. I only run it at 20% but it has been a game changer for the tank. Because the tank is long, you need a good push to get the water going across. I run the big one on the top and the effect of the strong ripple looks awesome. Corals are getting better flow. The fish have also been much more active.

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank, running for a year and a half now. I had a 120g for a decade and then was out of the hobby for a bit. This was a great way to get back into it. I am running the IM media basket with the same three media you have, working well.

Lots of good advice here and the only other item I would mention is flow. Go big! I went with two 660gph wave pumps which where part of the orbit loop system I purchased. They were a disappointment even though the tank was within the recommended size. Recently, I bought a third WaveMaker and went with their 2100gph. I only run it at 20% but it has been a game changer for the tank. Because the tank is long, you need a good push to get the water going across. I run the big one on the top and the effect of the strong ripple looks awesome. Corals are getting better flow. The fish have also been much more active.

where did you put the stronger wave pump? i put mine on the side and it seems to stir up/move sand because it crosses with the return pump's flow.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am looking at getting a second wave maker for the opposite end of the tank. I had to redirect some of my flow recently because it was causing my caulastrea to melt.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update as of today 5/29/19

In regards to zoa issues - separate thread copied over

Everything looked much better at the end of the day near the shut of the lights. I have my mom send me periodic pictures throughout the day. I don't know if it has any correlation to my lights being too powerful and they get weaker at the end of the day or if it's just because my parameters are leveling out.

Here is a picture of my lights and how close they are to the water. They reach a max intensity of 45 at peak during the bulk of the day.. is that too much for that close to the water? or how big the tank is? They used to do fine at that intensity in the beginning.
yqkfIkN.jpg

Left side Vibraniums (Doing Well)
lHGhUQT.jpg

Left side Spongebobs I believe (Starting to do much much better but growing weirdly up..)
Y0IuL0n.jpg

Left side Fuit Loops (Doing much better)
eZTSLWT.jpg

Left side Futti Tutti (Doing better now)
WBpppjZ.jpg

Middle Utter Chaos Paly (Never looked bad)
3sQ6lz7.jpg

Right side Orange Hornet (Still struggling - used to be INSANE)
0NkQ24g.jpg

Right side Gummie Bear (Not doing well)
nPIr2WL.jpg

Right side Sunny D's (Always been doing good)
WsuN8jv.jpg

Right side Fallen Angel (Super closed until today)
RuJNKta.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back